Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, maybe someone can enlighten me here. I have been looking around a little for a larger downpipe. I have not come across anything yet. Why is this? I see larger down pipes for the Ford and Dodge out there but, I can't seem to find one for my Dmax. Is there no need for one or is there not space for one? I would think that I could bring my egt's down a little more if I could run 4" right off the turbo rather than at the the bottom of the down pipe. I currently have a DPP 4" system on my truck and am very happy with it but, with planned mods, am looking to see what else I can do to lower egt's.

·
Registered
612 Posts
camp ....

I seem to remember a thread on the Page a year or so ago in which this was discussed. I believe the general agreement was there is too little space through which to run a larger diameter downpipe.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that is what I was guessing but, wasn't sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
According to Banks Engineering, they have not pursued an aftermarket downpipe due to limited space and the requirement of modifying the dip stick tube.

JP

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
<DIV>

Somebody here made one or is in the process of .... I wont name names.... Wouldn't want him swamped with questions ....

I seen a 73 Z28 with a super charger and intercooler installed .... What a custom beautiful install this guy did up here in CT ... I'm sure he could easily fab this downpipe piece if you have the dead presidents to invest ... I wonder if the benefit would be worthy of the cost ...

Mac
</DIV>

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is, I can fab one myself too. I build tube chassis rock crawlers for fun but, I don't know if it is worth the time and if someone already builds one, I would be more than willing to just pay for one rather than fab it
I only live in the country for 8 months a year so, I don't like to waste time fabbing parts I can buy, my time is worth more than the price of the parts to me.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Might be worth workin' one up if you dyno check it before and after, and you show some improvement. You may have found a niche product others would be interested in. I'm sure a mandrel bent tube would allow the turbo to spool up faster and keep the EGT's lower.

JP

·
Registered
448 Posts
If your EGT limited and have done every thing else to lower them, it should help quite a bit, but won't these new turbos coming out have to have a different down pipe?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All interesting points. Maybe I will try and make on when I get home to see how much of a hassle it is and what benefits I get.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Check out the Bully Dog 4" exhaust system. It comes with a down pipe. I had a 4x4 installer call them. IIRC the down pipw was also 4" with a 3" neck to attach to the turbo. The whole, aluminized kit, was about $450, I think. If you find anything please let me know!!

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Want to talk about a tight space to work...the 4inch down pipe for the Fords on the 04s you need to grind off a 6" part of a flange. Not fun at all, helped a buddy install one last week.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I read at the western diesel site, they stated that they recommend matching the turbo outlet and downpipe diameters. they claim this produces maximum torque throughout the rpm range. a 4" downpipe is an option with thier exhaust if you want it, but there testing proved the performance to be better with the 3-1/2" downpipe. FYI.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Deadeye said:
Check out the Bully Dog 4" exhaust system. It comes with a down pipe. I had a 4x4 installer call them. IIRC the down pipw was also 4" with a 3" neck to attach to the turbo. The whole, aluminized kit, was about $450, I think. If you find anything please let me know!!

Thanks,
I'm not sure what you're calling a downpipe, but
when I refer to the downpipe, it's the "pancake"
piece that bolts to the turbo housing outlet.

Bullydogs system does NOT replace this piece according
to their Installation instructions. See step #5 as well as #3 in the
Notes section....

thanks,

T.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
A little clarification on what is exactly the down pipe would be helpful. The banks exaust system I installed on my truck was made of 4" pipe. The only part that was not 4" was the part that hooked to the bottom of the turbo housing. Just the flange. The dohnut flange itself was 3 1/2" to match the turbo outlet. It then immedietly was streched to 4". The stock v clamp is reused, but right after that (less than 1/2") it is at 4" all the way to the exaust tip.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi-

Dynomax makes them:

http://www.dynomax.com/newproducts.stm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD id=smallsection vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>Dynomax premium turbocharger down pipe #54194 for the 2001-02 Chev / GMC 2500HD /3500 6.6L Duramax diesel Pick-Up, all models, all wheelbases</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="100%" colSpan=2> </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>
<UL>
<LI>4" OD, mandrel bent, type 409 stainless, 15 gauge tubing.
<LI>Designed to mate directly to a Dynomax performance exhaust system or to the OE exhaust.
<LI>Utilizes the OE hanger location for an easy installation.
<LI>Lowers back pressure at the turbocharger outlet to increase engine power and improve fuel economy.
<LI>Dynomax system kits #19362, 19364, #19365, and #19375 are available to mate with this down pipe.</LI>[/list]</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Can be bought from:

http://www.a-1performance.com/diesel.htm

This is the place I bought my Dynomax exhaust from.

<TABLE width="100%" border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="10%" bgColor=#000000>54194</TD>
<TD width="80%" bgColor=#000000>Dynomax Stainless Steel Turbo Down Pipe 4" Mandrel Bent Pipe</TD>
<TD align=middle width="10%" bgColor=#000000>$126.33</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
This issue keeps coming up and it TICKS ME OFF!! There's always a misuse of the terms "TURBO HOUSING" and "TURBO DOWNPIPE!" Okay, Class, pay attention because there will be a quiz! LOOK AT THIS PICTURE. See the turbo housing? See the turbo downpipe? See the size and configuration of the 6-BOLT, RECTANGULAR and LARGE connection between the TURBO HOUSING and the TURBO DOWNPIPE? Notice that the turbo downpipe is flat? That's because there is very limited clearance between the rear of the engine and the firewall to run that pipe down to the ROUND TURBO DOWNPIPE CONNECTION where all this aftermarket crap that is MISLABLED as a TURBO HOUSING CONNECTION hooks up! The picture that JohnnyO posted is in the correct configuration - horizontal and connected to the round turbo flange connection (notice that nice round ring on the left end?) NOBODY CONNECTS to the TURBO HOUSING and replaces the TURBO DOWNPIPE without remounting the engine forward or making major modifications to the firewall!!! ARRRRGH!!!!

Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
429 Posts
Idle_Chatter thanks for clearing that up! My #2 is sharp and ready to go 'teach.

Josh

·
Banned
6,539 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hoot-

Sweeeet!!!! Your's?Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hoot, do you know what application this version of
the downpipe was for? (maybe the 4500+ trucks?)
It does look a little larger than the flattend piece
on our trucks....

thanks,

T.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts