Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in the previous thread about "First Oil Change", I was planning on taking my truck to the dealer in another 1,000miles to get all the fluids changed. Today, being such a nice day, and looking for something to do, I decided to change my own oil just to see what I'd be missing by having the dealer do it. Well, I didn't like what I saw too much (2,098 miles on the Odom). Very very dark. So, I'm thinking I want to drain the front and rear, and tranny myself, just to know what is coming out, and for peace of mind. How hard is it? I know the tranny can be messy, but I've never messed with the front or rear of my previous truck before. Should I? Thanks all.

Brian

·
Registered
95 Posts
You don't specify which truck you have. Edit your profile and put it in your sig. Change the rear yes. Don't mess with the others yet, no need to this early. I used Mobil 1 75w90 in the rear. Just under 4 quarts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for such a quick response. And I'll take care of that profile thing while I'm here.:ro)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The axles are not hard to service. If you have the skid plate option, remove the four 15mm bolts and drop the plate under the front axle. I agree that the front fluid really doesnt need changing but I did mine mainly to convert it to synthetic like the 2006 models. The drain and fill plugs are easy to see and get at. The rear drain plug is directly below the chunk and you stick a 3/8 ratchet in the plug to loosen. Fill plug is the same on the passenger side. Always remove fill plugs first. The GM recommended oil is part number 12378261 but it is about 27.50 per quart. A lot of guys use Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic. I went with Royal Purple (NAPA) 75W-90, which is a little thicker than the M1. You will need 6 quarts if you do both axles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts