Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested I came up with this. Let me know what you think. No drilling on the truck or frame, used existing holes on my 05 CCSB. The bracket is simply a 12"x4" piece of strap with 5 holes drilled into it.

12"x4"x.25" steel strap (Lowes $9)

2 4"x3/8 bolts, washers, locking nuts
3 1.5"x5/16 bolts, washers, locking nuts (all around $5)

1-14 Filter Head (Napa $35)
8' .5" fuel line (Napa $15)
4 hose clamps ($3 Auto Zone)

Baldwin BF7587, (or any equiv to Cat 1R-0749) ($12 Fleetpride)

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks nice! On the roads I drive up here, I would be for adding a rock-gaurd to the front of your setup. Looks like it could either be welded along the forward edge of the steel plate, or a 90-degree piece of angle bolted to the two front bolt holes. Good job. Cheers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice! On the roads I drive up here, I would be for adding a rock-gaurd to the front of your setup. Looks like it could either be welded along the forward edge of the steel plate, or a 90-degree piece of angle bolted to the two front bolt holes. Good job. Cheers.
A guard across the front would be a great addition.

I did forget a couple of parts-

2 1/2 nipples ($5 Lowes)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Help out a fellow Texan please. Where did you hook the fuel lines to? Is the Baldwin you used a 2 micron filter? Where is Little Elm? I am in Wichita Falls.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted Baldwin and they actually call it a 1 micron filter but I won't get into that. It is basically the Baldwin equivalent to the Cat 1R-0749 which is a 2 micron.

First thing you'll want to do is run to Sears and grab the A/C-Fuel line quick connect tool for $10. Don't waste any time looking else where, you can't beat the price anyway. I bought a set at AutoZone first since they were closer but they wouldn't work.

On my LLY if you squeeze between the exhaust and the drive shaft you can access the 1/2 quick connect at the top of the tank. Then creep up to front side of the tank and there is another quick connect just behind the fuel cooler. Simply replace the line that joins the two with the filter assembly. Your LB7 maybe different I can't say.

Little Elm is north of Dallas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you replace the fuel line did you buy new quick connect fitting. If so can you tell me where you are able to find them?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just slipped the hose over the metal tubing and clamped. If you have a soft enough hose it will go over the "hump" for the quick connects.

·
Registered
690 Posts
that's bad ass, for so cheap too! im going to definitely going to give it a shot

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
SWEET!!! Under $100!!! I'm off to Sears, Napa, etc.
Thanks!
:ro) :thumb: :thankyou2

·
Registered
565 Posts
Very nice looking job and the price was right.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Very cool, will do this on a rainy weekend. Did th NPT plugs come with the filter head to plug off the "dual" inlet and outlet port thats not needed?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool, will do this on a rainy weekend. Did th NPT plugs come with the filter head to plug off the "dual" inlet and outlet port thats not needed?
Yep.

·
Registered
85 Posts
stupid question fellas.....why the extra fuel filter. does it help with moisture or just clean the diesel?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Without a lift pump, I'm kinda curious about priming this when replacing it. Seems there's a LOT of fuel in there and it needs to be filled.... even if you pre-fill it with #2, there will still be air at the top.

Do you open the bleeder on the OEM mount and let it drain back, then prime the complete system?

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to get the air out of the system.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just prime like normal, the air in the first filter will come through the fuel in the oem filter and eventually (5 mins of bleeding) it will come through..

ps- i just did this on my truck last nite, works great! Only thing i really had to look for was some scrap metal around the shop to mount the filter head to.. Othre problem i had was getting the rubber hose over the hump in the metal fuel lines, had to stretch the end of the hose with a snap ring pliers to get it over the hump.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
The Duramax has a history of problems with the injectors.
Dirty fuel (or water in the fuel) is one cause, and quite probably a primary cause, of failure.

In 2005, GM recalled ALL fuel filters and replaced them with a dual-pleat design... effectively two filters in one can. It is speculated that GM believes that dirty fuel getting through the filter was THE primary cause of injector problems.

Add to that, we need to change that filter anywhere from 10k to 15k, but a "bad" load of fuel can smoke that little filter in an hour.

Adding the Cat filter as a pre-filter further protects the injectors by going to a 3-pass filtration system. It also filters better than the stock filter.
Since it is much taller, it can accomodate more "junk", and hold more water than the stock filter.... a "bad" load of fuel is much less likely to leave you stranded... if the WIF light comes on with a Cat filter ahead of your stocker, you've got a SERIOUS water contamination problem.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I did mine just for something to do..:lol: But i enjoy doing cheap stuff on my own, plus it can only help the truck..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know where the quick connects can be found? I am going to add this filter but would like it as stock as possible, the area above the tank is a little tight!

Thanks,

Bill

1 - 20 of 543 Posts