Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I just got started tearing into this thing and thought I'd post some pics of the progress so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Looks like a project there for sure, Is this your first tranny build? should be easy for a boiler guy:) , BTW i'm a fitter/welder out of local 94. Good Luck, i'll be doing the same thing soon!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're brave

Maybe I'll muster up the knutz to do my own

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Good luck take your time & you will love it when your done let us know how it works i did mine last weekend wow! GETS POWER TO THE GROUND NOW not that bad to do easy trans. To r&r and service :drop_mout

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hope every things goes well i plan to do mine in the next month or so.

·
Registered
264 Posts
looks good brandon, i ended up going with an SCIII and Precision industries converter. Just picked it up today and hopefully will be tearing into mine next weekend. Lots of luck buddy! Has it been fighting you during disassembly, i have been told thats one of the hardest parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Give me all the details you can because I might be doing this myself real soon, after talking to tranny shops around here.... just kinda scared to do it myself

·
Registered
264 Posts
kracker;1574194; said:
Give me all the details you can because I might be doing this myself real soon, after talking to tranny shops around here.... just kinda scared to do it myself
I just downloaded the ATSG manual and its packed full of good info, you should get it and start reading it now. It may also help you decide if you want to do your own install.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
yellowroket;1574221; said:
I just downloaded the ATSG manual and its packed full of good info, you should get it and start reading it now. It may also help you decide if you want to do your own install.

where abouts do i get this at?

·
Registered
180 Posts
What website did you download that from?.... That would definetly help with my decision

·
Registered
264 Posts
www.atsg.biz
Then click on bookstore on left side of page, gm ATSG Techtran manuals, and allison 1000/2000 trans. Its 25 bucks and you can either download it or buy the actual paper manual

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kracker that is why I'm trying to post up as much as I can. There seem to be a lot of people that are kind of sitting in the middle not sure whether to do an install themselves or take it to a shop. The back end is done, it really only took about 2 hours. Really EASY. I only worked on the front for about 45 minutes. There is one bell houseing bolt that is really tight and its scaring the hell out of me. I dont want to strip it or break it off. I'll work on it again tomorrow. The C5 clutches looked perfect, the C4s have a little wear on them but I dont think its too bad for having 26000 miles on them with me behind the wheel. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any special tools needed?.... I orderd the allison guide to help if I decide to do myself

·
Registered
692 Posts
How bad are the convertor bolts to get out. I have been told that can be the worst part of the job. put them back in is hard to, let me know how bad it really is.

Hope to get enough time to do mine soon, Part are just setting in the garage

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
normal hand tools and a torque wrench. some long extentions to get the trans out of the truck. I also used it as an excuse to get a new torque wrench. :) nothing really special is needed. ATSG manual is a big help too.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the converter bolts arent that bad. the pain is getting the starter out of the way to get to them. 2 people make it alot easier too. One to turn the crank and one to feel for the bolt in the converter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How do you turn the crank without the starter?.... Looks like I also need some plastic for my floor dosnt look like a clean job LOL

·
Registered
949 Posts
put a socket on the crank pulley bolt on the front of the motor and turn till you get all the converter bolt out

·
Registered
180 Posts
OK I didnt know if you could do that on a diesel because of the compression ive done it on gassers

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah you can do it on a diesel you just have to remove the spark plugs.

J/K ;)

Yeah its kind of messy. There is still a lot of ATF in the tranny even after you drain the pan and remove the TC. I thought most of it was out when I had it sitting on the bell housing but when I flipped it over after completeing the back end of it another 2 or 3 quarts came out. Nothing a little kitty litter wont clean up.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts