Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Bump, i'm sure there are some people looking for this right about now just before winter :D

Your right.........I still havn't done it. LOL, next week LOL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
excellllllent, I love it bud good job!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for switch location where I wouldn't have to remove the dash?

·
Banned
213 Posts
Excellent directions, and excellent post.

I have a high idle switch and I use the heck out of it in the winter with my 18:1 engine. She needs a little kick in the morning to keep her awake. :eek: Warms up quicker also, BRRRRR.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got some questions... What kind of switches would one person need? Just something with 2 prongs on the back? To computer and one to ground? And even with them both hooked in and both activated it will bump it up to 1600 or is there anything else you need to do? Also.. What does it mean 1600 RPM- short B7 and B8 together short?? If you get what im trying to ask.. hehe thank you!!

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got some questions... What kind of switches would one person need? Just something with 2 prongs on the back? To computer and one to ground? And even with them both hooked in and both activated it will bump it up to 1600 or is there anything else you need to do? Also.. What does it mean 1600 RPM- short B7 and B8 together short?? If you get what im trying to ask.. hehe thank you!!
Just a simple switch, something that breaks contact with your chosen ground point. I used a heavy duty switch with dust boot for the toggle at Princess Auto.

And yes, 2 prong, one to PCM one to ground.

If your lights don't come on, and you have a short somewhere it means the power is grounding out before it gets to it's intended destination.

Shorting B8 and B7 means both pins are allowed to ground out (both switchs on)

Short = Short Circuit

Basically, with the OBDII system, you ground out the pins for the high idle, only pin B7 is grounded (Switch on) to get a high idle of 1070 (IIRC) ground pin B8 and you get 13somethin (Can't think of it now, lot on my mind) and ground both pins (both switches on) for 1600.

OBDI you apply power to A7 I think, and it only has one setting around 1000 RPM.

That's all.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Excellent directions, and excellent post.

I have a high idle switch and I use the heck out of it in the winter with my 18:1 engine. She needs a little kick in the morning to keep her awake. :eek: Warms up quicker also, BRRRRR.
Yea, there's some morning the polar bears even stay inside around here, but I still gotta work, helps a lot with gettin the engine to fire on all cylinders quicker, and also, added warmpth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Switch Location

i poped out the cargo light switch and drilled a 1/2 hole in the lower blank slot, mounted my switch in there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is very helpful, I can't wait to do mine.

Thank you for the pictures

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just finished my high idle. I used smaller switches in the same area, under the speedo on the left side. Using smaller switch left room for more switches that area. (TCC override?? etc)

Convenient ground point is the PCM ground, just above the PCM.

Its nice to leave the truck running with the A/C on and it be real cold.

The fast idle will also be usefull when I get the 110v inverter installed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thank you whiteK2500 :) appreciate it very much! Oh yeah how long did it take ya about to do it if you recall? Just looking to find a window of time between beer and more beer, haha thanks again for the post!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i'm sorry again i just wanna double check something... Are these the pins that connect to the 18 gauge wire and into the PCM connection? Either one of the two?? If you can make out what they are from the picture.. It's hard to get a good picture of something this small...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is there anyway to bypass the high idle from turning off when in drive or on the brake?

Anything but "P" a r k and the idle goes to normal , Correct?

Need it for the wrecker clutch pump.....I know it is NOT advised.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is there anyway to bypass the high idle from turning off when in drive or on the brake?

Anything but "P" a r k and the idle goes to normal , Correct?

Need it for the wrecker clutch pump.....I know it is NOT advised.
Nope.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Yep, that's the pin Smoke.
As far as time, with the gf helping, about 3 hours (We we're also takin the time to do a walk through, pointing things out, takin pics etc for this thread, so that inflated our time a bit, as we were in no real rush)

I honestly don't know Brooklyn, You'd have to look at what relays or switches and what wires do what, where they go, etc on an electrical layout to figure out what you'd need to do/if it can be done.

I wondered the same thing, to be able to use it to turn a PTO winch quicker with everything reving higher.

Instead I'll just go with the dual alty setup and a warn 16500lbs winch, easier to set up as far as I'm concerned, and I don't have to do complex wiring... I hate wiring... Specially automotive wiring.... Censored

·
Registered
106 Posts
great thank you.... Yeah I was figuring it would be about 1.5-2Hours... So that makes sense that it took you about 3 with the walk through. Its great. thanks for everything bud!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You'd have to look at what relays or switches and what wires do what, where they go, etc on an electrical layout to figure out what you'd need

Not worth the time or energy spent....(unless you enjoy that kind of challenge) There are "aftermarket" HI setups that will.....with a tweak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are there any factory switches that fit the blanks? When I used to drive class b, my C8500 had a push button for high idle, but that used the old interior. A nice, factory looking button for just one RPM range (1300 would be all I'd need for faster warm ups and jump starting) would be sweet.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Are there any factory switches that fit the blanks? When I used to drive class b, my C8500 had a push button for high idle, but that used the old interior. A nice, factory looking button for just one RPM range (1300 would be all I'd need for faster warm ups and jump starting) would be sweet.
Maybe if you figured a way to use a second "cargo lamp" switch to opperate the idle, you could use one of those.

I didn't want my switches somewhere people in the passenger seat would play with.

So my gf just slides over to the driver seat to play with em... :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
106 Posts
hahahahaha, Sounds like you got a cool girl friend :p

21 - 40 of 149 Posts