Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I've been working on writing this up but haven't really had the time but i'll try to get it started. This is a wiring lesson for running your hi's, low's, drl's, and fog's all as your hi beams for the 01-02 HD's.
This is a medium difuculty operation I think.
FIRST OFF DO THIS!!!!! Its very simple! http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12804

Here is the Main list of what you will need. Any brands of these work but I'm just using the summit site as a basis to show you.
1. You will need 2 relays like these with the wiring harness with them. 40amp is the best bet. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCO-5591PT/
2. You will need 2 fuse holders. Anything capable of holding 15-20amps. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCO-0950PT/?rtype=10 or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCO-0961PT/
I have ALOT of electrical things I have wired up so I bout a small fuse block but it is not neccesary. Here is a picture of mine.

3. 16 or 14 gauge wire
4. Quick Splice connectors
5. Shrink wrap or something of the sort

Now remove the fender support so you can access the inside of the fuse box. The pack of wires on the front are the only ones you will need to find(the ones with the QSconectors)

Now I "tested" these wires with a fused hot wire and a razor blade so I knew i had the right wire because some of them are the same color and go somewhere else. I just slipped the razor into the wire thru the covering and seen what it switched on.

Now first of all find the DRL wires, will be two BLUE wires but only one is needed. With the QS conect about 2' of wire to it. I would suggest labeling all your new wires with masking tape. Label DRL.

Now find the purple Fog light wires, i think there is 2 also but only one is needed. Be careful because there are other purple wires that will be used. QS 2' of wire onto it. Label FOG 1. Thats all the QSing for the Fog/DRL mod

Now for the Rest. You will need to find the other purple wire that is the GROUND for the HI beams. I tested by turning on my dims and using the razor blade but it was just grounded out, NO hot wire. It should switch on your HI's. QS 2' of wire onto it. Label HI-

And now find the + side for the Hi beams witch is orange. QS 2' of wire onto it. Label HI+
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, the hard part is done! Now for the relays! They should be labeled with numbers on the underside where the prongs are, these nuber I will be referring to because I do not know what color your wires are on your harnes. 30, 85, 86, and 87. If your relay has an 87 and 87a, we will only be using the 87 but the relay WILL work fine
THESE ARE 2 SEPERATE RELAYS
*Relay 1 will be controlling your DRL's to be switched on WHENEVER the FOG lights are on. Take your wire labeled FOG1 and connect it to the wire leading to the 86 prong. Now take your DRL wire and connect it to the 87 prong. THe wire on the 30 should be connected to the fuse holder of your choice. Use only 10amp fuse!! 85 needs to be grounded out on the frame somewhere. I chose the fender support.

*Relay 2 will be controlling the Fogs with the Hi's. Take your wire labeled HI- and connect it to the 85. Take your wire labeled HI+ and connect it to 86. Run 30 to the other fuse holder with a 15 amp fuse! Now for the main part! Connect a 6"-1" of wire onto the 87 wire of the relay. This is going to cross over to the wire labeled FOG 1 on Relay 1. Just QS it somewhere along the way of FOG 1. This is the only time the relays connect wires but it is the vital connection!

Now you can connect the other ends of the fuse holder to a power source, battery or b+ terminal or side of fuse block. Just where so ever you choose but more wire is needed for longer distance. I ran my wires around behind the fuse box and mounted the relays on the top of the lower portion of the fuse box cover

Once they are being fed power, the DRL's should come on with the fogs. The fogs are still controllable with the stock switch when dims or parking lights are on. Now click on your Hi's, it should activate your Hi's Low's Fog's and DRL's ALL at the same time!!!

Finished product with HID's everywhere
DIMs with FOG's

HI's
On this one the passenger side HI didnt ignite but it was a problem with the HID's, not the mod. Its fixed now

FIXED!

Sorry for the horrible grammer, I did this in a hurry!

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Great write up! There are so many write ups for 03+ in great detail, but the 01-02s are pretty much forgotten. This should be a sticky. I'd consider doing my DRL's with this, but they always burn out so I just disabled them and I don't have fogs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up! There are so many write ups for 03+ in great detail, but the 01-02s are pretty much forgotten. This should be a sticky. I'd consider doing my DRL's with this, but they always burn out so I just disabled them and I don't have fogs.
Thanks, its pretty simple for just the drl's, and I found some wal mart bulbs called CYBER WHITE 3157 that last great in the DRL sockest and give a more white color but not too bright!

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Not gonna make it a sticky, but I will move it to the DIY section and link it to the General GM 2500HD/3500HD DIY List sticky :cool:

Nice work :thumb:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Great write up...!!!

It is about time someone figured out how it works on the 2001-2002 trucks!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Great write up...!!!

It is about time someone figured out how it works on the 2001-2002 trucks!

Thank you very much!
Yeah, you were really trying to make it happen, just couldn't find the info. :D

BTW, Ender06, I like the Z71 valance. I know you have 55w highs, but did you notice decreased distance with HID's in your highs? I am wondering if it is because of the design of my headlight housing, if I should try 55w HID's instead of 35w, or get a different bulb like a 9006 instead of 9005 or something. I live in the country and it is a little annoying. Also thinking of stepping up to Denali headlights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for the write up Duratitus and I have been looking for this for quite some time now!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, you were really trying to make it happen, just couldn't find the info. :D

BTW, Ender06, I like the Z71 valance. I know you have 55w highs, but did you notice decreased distance with HID's in your highs? I am wondering if it is because of the design of my headlight housing, if I should try 55w HID's instead of 35w, or get a different bulb like a 9006 instead of 9005 or something. I live in the country and it is a little annoying. Also thinking of stepping up to Denali headlights.
NO, not really. but I hated my halegon bulbs. But now that I look the brights arent quites as bright as I'd like. And THANKS, I love the valence on my truck, it fits well I think and the fogs dont break like the 01-02 stockers do all the time

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
NO, not really. but I hated my halegon bulbs. But now that I look the brights arent quites as bright as I'd like. And THANKS, I love the valence on my truck, it fits well I think and the fogs dont break like the 01-02 stockers do all the time
Thats what is going on with my 2002. It isn't even as good of distance as the halogens were. They just brighten in front of the truck and the sides basically. I wonder if its just the design of the housing, since we both basically have the same headlights?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Are you talking about putting HID's in the high beams?

I am considering doing this right now.......Would you recommend that?

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Yeah, I have HID's in the Highs and the distance is not as good as the halogens. They just light up the sides of the truck and right in front a little bit more. Increase the intensity of the light at the front. I think its the housings.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you talking about putting HID's in the high beams?

I am considering doing this right now.......Would you recommend that?
I STILL like my HID's better than the Halegon, but I wouldn't recomend them UNLESS you do this mod Because it takes mine too long to warm up if Im not running these relays

·
Diesel Technician, Formerly Black Demon
602 Posts
i plan on doing 55w 5k or 6k hids in my truck and was wondering with the housings as the stock ones dont have the little halo to refract the light as much as 03+...i found some projectors on ebay and was told that hids were meant to be used in projector lights...but i never really like the way the light looks out of a projector, although that was using halogen bulbs hids might be better

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I think HID's look really good in a projector. They need to be more focused and the stock headlamps aren't that good (01-02). With 55w HID's you need to be running relays regardless.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, thank you for this thread. I'm about to finish up my HIDs and would like to do the all on mod. I do not have fog lights and would like to keep the DRLs functioning stock. So would I only need one relay/fuse holder to do this or is just grounding the low beam wire all I need to do?

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts