Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed dixie horns on their Dmax? If so, where did you place the 5 trumpets and compressor? I have a set that I had on a '98 and '02 (non-diesel) and I placed them in the engine compartment to keep them 1) dry, 2) ventillated and 3) the distance between the trumpets and horns as short as possible.

However, it seems as the trucks got newer, the space under the hood got smaller. I can't see anywhere under the hood of my '04 to satisfy all of the above three criteria. I was thinking of mounthing them to the back of my toolbox between the bed and the box with the compressor inside and a covering over the trumpets. The problem with that is the trumpets are somewhat exposed (theft issues, weather issues). Any advice would be appreciated.

One more question, wherever I decide to mount the compressor and horns I will need to run electric to the button. Where is the best place to poke through the fire wall? thanks

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
I mounted my compressor in my toolbox and the train horns infront of the spare tire (the only place I had room for them). You could mount them in front of the fuel tank or tucked up in the bed finder area. If wiring from the rear, easiest to poke the grommet where the trans. shift cable goes under the dr. side front seat area.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
:exactly: ...most I've seen are mounted under the bed...of course, leaving room for boost pumps and another fuel filter on the driver's side of the bed. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw some mounting pictures under another post about train horns, but I couldn't tell if there were any air hoses running to the trumpets. I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but maybe I should have clariffied the set up a bit...

The kit I have is a $70 one from Wolo where five air lines (hoses) run from the compressor to the trumpets. According to what I've found on other forums, the shorter the hoses, the better the sound, although that could be a myth. either way, it seems to me that having the small compressor (3" dia x 8" high) in the tool box and the trumpets under the bed would mean running a lot of hose. Thus my reasoning for mounting them outside the tool box with a "weather cover", which will limit the length of hose I need to run. Just wondered if anyone had installed a similar setup.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hmm, just a thought, but, what about mounting EVERYTHING (since it seems like a faily compact setup) on to a steel plate of appropriate size and them mount the system, in tact, where ever you like under the bed where it's fairly protected? Kind of like the Nicktane setup where the filter, etc. is mounted to it's separate steel mount which is then bolted in place.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
ooooooo you have the small ones. OK, ya, mount them as close together as possible, those compressors don't put out very much volume. Mine is a compressor/tank combo and the 3 horn are 12"H x 14"L x 14"W, hard to find a place to mount them. You might be able to mount yours on the little plate above the driveshaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts