Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is their a way to disconect the odemeter on the 03es, i am putting way to many hiway miles on my duramax, and would like to stop the process for a while, the power pup can be set for a smaller tire, but they still accumalete, on my older gmcs, i was able to stop them for a while, thanks for the imput

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Can be done but there is no way in hell I would do it. I guarantee it is stored in other locations. If the odometer reads 30,000 miles less then the other locations, guess who is going to court.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, i really did not hink they would find out, i have heard of others doing it removing the c2clip, what ever that means

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I used to do that when I was a kid to my cars. One day a girlfiend gave me an ass chiewing. She asked if I was going to sell the car one day and I said yes. She said I was cheating the next buyer. I felt real bad from that point on.

On the other hand.........

If your going to keep the truck until you have the junk yard haul it off and you just want to extend your warranty heres how to do it (F*&K GM)

Put H2 tires/wheels on your truck. You will get 113,000 mile warranty instead of 100k.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
fredw said:
is their a way to disconect the odemeter on the 03es, i am putting way to many hiway miles on my duramax, and would like to stop the process for a while, the power pup can be set for a smaller tire, but they still accumalete, on my older gmcs, i was able to stop them for a while, thanks for the imput

Ermm...My input: Never ever buy the "low" mileage truck that Fred has for sale.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
The Mileage on the 03's is stored in 8 places in the trucks computer systems. You cha easily change the milage in the cluster, heck you can just buy a new one and start at 0, but anyone with a tech2 can get the truth. The only possible way to stop all the mileage recording would be to interrupt the speed sensing signals. That would trough off a lot of other stuff and throw codes though. Now you could change out all of the computer modules in your truck to reset the mileage, but that would most likely cost more than it's worth. Another thing to keep in mind is if you have big brother onboard, your mileage is tracked elsewhere as well. In the end remember it's so hard to do this because it's wrong and illegal. IMO a little extra warranty and trade in value isn't worth going back to the slammer..
Ox

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
problemchild said:

On the other hand.........

If your going to keep the truck until you have the junk yard haul it off and you just want to extend your warranty heres how to do it (F*&K GM)

Put H2 tires/wheels on your truck. You will get 113,000 mile warranty instead of 100k.

Purchased my truck in mid 02 and the dealer had a certificate for each buyer to sign. Basically, certifying that the buyer is aware that changing the tire sizes may void/cause pro-rating of the warranty. Their position is the mis-sized wheel has been on for the entire life up that point also. So, if the new wheel size is 10% oversize, and your injectors dump @ 93,000miles ~tuff.

Wasn't it Solomon that said 'There is nothing new under the Sun"?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Ask Martha Stewart. She can hook you up.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<DIV>you guys are making me feel guilty, i guess i will not do that no more, it just seams a bit unfair, when you put as many easy hiway miles as i do compared to someone that tows all the time then adds propane, and is constanly in the shop with head or injector problems, but i guess thats what extended warenty is all about, so do not worry max, pewter is not your color anyways
</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>Edited by: fredw

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Trippin said:
What happens if you change the PCM or cluster? Is there a way to get them all back in sync?

The ECM and BCM will be correct and a Tech II can reset the cluster ....

Mac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
How come there are so many mechanic owned low milage vehicles for sell? I know of 4 instances where people bought a truack from a mechanic at the dealer who was the original owner. The trucks are all around 1 full year old and only have 4800 to 5200 miles on them. Do all mechanics live close to work or drive a work car or only go inbetween work and home?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Explain this to me. When you test drive new vehicles at the lot, they all show very low milage on the odometer. Usually 5-15 miles. Some of these cars have been on the lot for up to 3 months. How do the odometers always read so low?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Bronco, because no one has driven them. They are not rolling back mileage on the lot.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Bronco said:
Explain this to me. When you test drive new vehicles at the lot, they all show very low milage on the odometer. Usually 5-15 miles. Some of these cars have been on the lot for up to 3 months. How do the odometers always read so low?

My 2003 Tahoe has a Build Date of 01/2003....I bought it on 09/22/2003 ----- 9 months and a few weeks after it was built.

Mileage when bought 3.6 miles.

I guess it was not even test driven much.

Oh well..........go figure ?????????

T
NY

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax said:
Bronco said:

My 2003 Tahoe has a Build Date of 01/2003....I bought it on 09/22/2003 ----- 9 months and a few weeks after it was built.

Mileage when bought 3.6 miles.

I guess it was not even test driven much.

Oh well..........go figure ?????????

T
NY

Always sniff the seats of the low mileage babys ....The nose knows ....

I buy new ....

Mac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My truck was built 10/02 and delivered 11/02. I purchased it 03/03. It had seventeen miles on it. I got it for 36 even @ 2.9%. Couldn't beat the price and did't care about the milage. I just always figured it had to be driven more in a 3 1/2 month period, although times were a little slow after 911.

·
Registered
62 Posts
fredw said:
it just seams a bit unfair, when you put as many easy hiway miles as i do compared to someone that tows all the time.........

Then why did you buy a work truck? Sounds to me like a Kia would have done what you needed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts