Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The side moldings on my truck are getting totally discolored in certain areas and look like crap. Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? Or am I stuck a 3 year old truck that has 10 year old looking moldings?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
IIRC someone got the dealer to replace them under the 3 year. Mine has the same problem on the passenger side, driver side is OK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are they painted or Black? If black armor-all the crap out of them... let it soak in... then do it as many times as necessary... also local auto parts store carry plastic and bumper polish to bring the shine back in them..

·
Registered
176 Posts
trivium;1599150; said:
Are they painted or Black? If black armor-all the crap out of them... let it soak in... then do it as many times as necessary... also local auto parts store carry plastic and bumper polish to bring the shine back in them..

Do not use armor all, long term, that will make the problem worse, plus streak down the truck when it gets wet, use a product called 303 if they are black.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are the color matched ones. Silver Birch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
somekevinguy;1599743; said:
They are the color matched ones. Silver Birch.

Did you try having them buffed out?? If it were mine, I would try that and if it did not work, I would get them replaced.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't really inspected them that closely but I was thinking that they had a clear plastic over the top of them. I will have to take a closer look.

·
Registered
176 Posts
somekevinguy;1600461; said:
I haven't really inspected them that closely but I was thinking that they had a clear plastic over the top of them. I will have to take a closer look.

What is discoloring, the "chrome" strip, or the paint???

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. You didn't say how many miles your truck has. If your truck is under both limits, it shold be covered.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fountain Power;1600488; said:
What is discoloring, the "chrome" strip, or the paint???
The paint. So is the paint on the surface? I haven't looked at it real close but for some reason it looked like like there was clear plastic over the paint.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom S.;1600699; said:
3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. You didn't say how many miles your truck has. If your truck is under both limits, it shold be covered.
I only have like 29,000 miles but I think I bought it like October 03 so I guess I am screwed as far as warranty. Man it was discolored back then too. I wasn't even thinking about when the warranty expired.

·
Registered
176 Posts
somekevinguy;1600796; said:
The paint. So is the paint on the surface? I haven't looked at it real close but for some reason it looked like like there was clear plastic over the paint.

Same as the body, base clear. There may have been some realeae agents left on the plastics from when it was made that have bled throught the paint. Just a thought. even though you have 29K on her, it would not be bad to check with the dealer for warranty replacement. If something has bled throught the paint, you can buff it out, but it will come back.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
The dealer has some lee-way with the warranty, or may opt to fix it in the interest of customer relations, if you're a repeat customer. It won't cost anything to ask.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Most of the time they dont cover paint or "ozone". Back in the day, many ford explorers and dakotas had paint problems dealers didnt cover it. My udnerstanding when I bought my truck (i know gm not ford or dodge) bird droppings, fading, ozone, acid rain etc etc werent covered under warrenty only rust.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My friend bought a new Bronco back in the day like 85 or something and he moved to Colorado to go to college and when he was out there the paint started cracking on his hood and I guess Ford had some kind of problem where they had put the paint on to thick or something so he got his hood redone for free and the way I remember it, it was like 5 years later. I am sure it doesn't happen very often though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Check if you had any dealer added option like a Paint Sealer. Dealer prep options like paint sealers & upholstery stain guards usually have their own warranty provided by the supplier of the product (not GM). If you do, ask your dealer for the suppliers phone number.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts