Diesel Place banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
If the water pump was replaced without removing the timing cover, it could be leaking on the passenger side coolant passage between the block and timing cover. Coolant will spray on the front of the head and evaporate. I had it happen twice after only replacing the water pump and not putting a real gasket between the timing cover and block. I traced down the leak with a very bright light and cold engine. I could see the fine mist. Could not see it with a hot engine.
BK, how the hell do you replace the water pump WITHOUT removing the timing cover??:confuzeld

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, I made a discovery. The front passenger side crossover mounting location is leaking. I will fix it later this week and report on how much it helps.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Also, I checked the rear crossover ports, they seem to be dry. I'll have to do the hot to cold hose pressure test next time I stop. Also, I like the idea on irontite and the pellets. Sometimes my truck will sit for a week without being started and it has not hydrolocked yet.. I think if it was leaking into the cylinders it would seep past my worn out rings into the oil. (I have a ton of blowby)

My truck has 422k on the original engine and runs great! I've had it since 300k and it has smoked like a steam boat from the oil fill the whole time.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,939 Posts
So, I made a discovery. The front passenger side crossover mounting location is leaking. I will fix it later this week and report on how much it helps.
That is the quick connect I mentioned in Post #9.

The fix is in subsequent post.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That is the quick connect I mentioned in Post #9.

The fix is in subsequent post.
I actually replaced the quick connect previously. This leak is where the thermostat housing mates to the head.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts