Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2001 S10 I could disable the DRLs by tapping the dome override switch 4x quickly. There was an alert chime and the DRLs were disengaged. The sensor for the automatic headlamps also disengaged. With my 2001 2500HD DMax I read in the manual that the procedure is the same, however it doesnt work! I had suspicions and checked the VIN to find out that its a Canadian truck. Apparently GM Canada disables this DRL off/on feature so that the DRLS are always on. My dealer told me that GM Canada will NOT fax the override code unless they get department letterhead stating the vehicle will be used officially for police or military.
I guess I could get around to submitting the paperwork but in the meantime I'd like a quicker fix.
Edited by: Alki

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think there is a relay in the under hood fuse box for thr DRL's. You should be able to pull it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the automatic headlamps, they're the real problem. During hours of darkness I want the ability to turn off the lights when stopped/parked, or to flash my lights off/on. When the autos take over I cant do a thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok on the drls just wait a bit they will both burn out!!Or you could just remove the bulbs?On the Auto headlight on the 04 you can turn them off if you turn the headlamp switch counterclockwise atleast it works that way on the 2004?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I could D/C the DRL bulbs, but like I said its the automatic headlights sensor that aggravates me most. My Canuck '01 doesnt have the counterclockwise headlight switch option. Mechanic at the dealership said to override that sensor; 1) put the rig in park, 2) turn off the ignition (to re-set the sensor), 3) re start the ignition, 4) ever so slightly depress the parking brake just enough to fool the rig into thinking that the brake is set. Now I can operate the headlights via the switch, turning them off & on at will without the sensor kicking in and them on permanently. Tried it and it works....except, the darn parking brake light & chime comes on !^#!%$#!&%$! Besides, I really dont like having to semi set that brake. There's gotta be a better way

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Below is a procedure I wrote up when I had a '02 truck that I wanted to have control over the headlights and disabled the auto feature.

FOR '99-'02 TRUCKS ONLY w/o AUTO CLIMATE CONTROLS

Basically you will need a pair of wire cutters and a 1.5K ohm 1/2 watt resistor that you can get at Radio Shack. Electrical tape and possibly some wire nuts will work to wire in the resistor. You can solder the wires if you wish.

You may want to remove the neg. battery cable to assure you don't do any unwanted damage to the electrical system. This is not necessary, but a good precaution to take.

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway.

Clip these two wires that are coming off this plug (C3). Leave a few inches to work with. Tape up or place wire nuts over the other end of these wires that go up under the dash(they go to the light sensor). You have now removed the light sensor from the electrical system and is now just a dash ornament.

Connect the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3, going to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 to the other resistor lead. Plug in C3 to the BCM and replace the neg. battery cable if you removed it. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
for the DRL's I'd just pull the bulbs or the fuse in the underhood electrical panel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MK, Sounds simple enuff. Will try that approach. Thanks !

·
Registered
235 Posts
This was on a '97 but you might check for the same or a similar setup. I found the DRL relay under the driver side dash. If you just removed it, it interfered with the regular headlight operation (I forget how). It was a standard SPDT auto relay, though, and I found that by jumping the input socket to one of the output sides, the headlights worked appropriately and DRL's were gone. The only down side was that the DRL indicator light still lit up but a mask with a little black tape took care of the distraction.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Heathen said:
Ok on the drls just wait a bit they will both burn out!!Or you could just remove the bulbs?On the Auto headlight on the 04 you can turn them off if you turn the headlamp switch counterclockwise atleast it works that way on the 2004?

Mine's got that switch you can rotate, but since it's spring loaded, it turns off the headlights and returns to the auto position. So when you cycle the ignition switch, the headlights go back to auto.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Zeeb said:
Heathen said:

Mine's got that switch you can rotate, but since it's spring loaded, it turns off the headlights and returns to the auto position. So when you cycle the ignition switch, the headlights go back to auto.

This is the same on my 03... wish there was a way to get rid of them.... By the way, does DRL refer to Daytime running lamps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts