Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to completely disable the tire pressure monitor on the new style trucks. The reason is we have a fleet of trucks that we instaled new tires and they dont have the tire pressure sensor. We just want to eliminate the system altogether. We have a tech 2 but there is no way to do it with that, we called GM outfitter and they said there is nothing to do. The only thing we an think of is putting the 4 tire sensors in the spare tire! Is there a way to use EFI LIVE to disable the lights in the dash?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you change the rims? Why didn't you just transfer tyhe sensors? More info please.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the thing there will be no sensors in the rims, we just want to get rid of the system.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That seems fair..............

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I don't know about Canadian law, but U.S. Federal law mandates the tire pressure monitoring system, and Canada generally follows U.S. safety mandates. So I think it will be difficult to get any GM dealer to defeat the system.

Let us know if you are successful in defeating it.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I would just try removing them from the wheels, relearn them one at a time at the same location on the vehicle and toss them in the glove box. I dont know anything about the newer systems but the older ones only read psi and the BCM could read its location on the vehicle when programmed. if a tire rotation was done then it had to be reprogrammed so the BCM knew the new location of the sensor"wheel". If they were programmed to read 0psi with just a general location then technically you could toss them in the glovebox. This is why imports are better in some ways, their system operates off the existing ABS system and does not require reprogramming or a sensor in the wheel. I asked a freind of mine at a GM dealership and he couldnt answer me because he hadnt tried it. All i can say is try it, i beleive it will work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tire Pressure Moniter, DPF, Woodgrain, Big ass chrome bumper......Makes me want to keep my LBZ for a long time. I cannot stand a light for tire pressure or a truck that locks doors automatically....I am perfectly capable.....Sometimes I believe the General thinks we drive mini-vans and not pickups.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Setting the threshold at 0 psi does not work unfourtunately.... cant efi live turn off the lights? dam this tpms really sucks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was just in Kaltire two days ago, and there's a sign stating that b 2008, all vehicals in Canada will by law have to be fitted with some sort of TPMS, to begin to be phased in on some models in 2006.

Now if only there's a way for us Canadians to try and defeat the bloody "always-on" headlights, it'd be a hell of a lot easier to sneak up the long driveway of your girlfriends' parent's house to pick her up, admitted thought, I haven't had that problem for a few years now!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We have several NBS 2007s in our fleet - and after 30,000kms each one started acting up (mostly in the cold). It will warn of low pressure, then go away, then cycle through "low washer fluid" etc.

A GM tech that I know stated that they have had quite a few trucks come in and have the computer changed out because the tire pressure sensor circuit shorted it out...

That long-winded story was me agreeing with disabling the system...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would just try removing them from the wheels, relearn them one at a time at the same location on the vehicle and toss them in the glove box. I dont know anything about the newer systems but the older ones only read psi and the BCM could read its location on the vehicle when programmed. if a tire rotation was done then it had to be reprogrammed so the BCM knew the new location of the sensor"wheel". If they were programmed to read 0psi with just a general location then technically you could toss them in the glovebox. This is why imports are better in some ways, their system operates off the existing ABS system and does not require reprogramming or a sensor in the wheel. I asked a freind of mine at a GM dealership and he couldnt answer me because he hadnt tried it. All i can say is try it, i beleive it will work.
The sensors measure pressure don't they...so somehow you would have to pressurize the glove box.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts