Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my oil. I've got 9,600 miles and it's been about 5,200 miles since the oil was changed. The oil line is down only 1 mark on the dipstick. The add line is 5 marks down. Does 5 marks down mean add 1 quart?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That's a good question. I've been here since Nick started this site and I don't ever remember anyone asking that...

I'm just guesing that it is either 1 or 2 quarts down at the bottom of the marks. Since most of us buy oil by the gallon, I don't think anyone ever gave it a thought. Most of us just add oil until the level is at the top mark.

Unless you got a heck of a deal on quarts, I think you would be better off with the gallon jugs. I wouldn't worry about being down a quart either. Almost every vehicle made in the past 40 years carryies more oil in the pan than is needed for normal operation any way.

On a side note, most diesels, including the Dmax, oil consumption is a function of engine load. So, the harder you work your truck, the more oil it will use. I believe the GM spec on oil use is 1qt per 1500 miles or something like that. I think Eric or Maxpayne would know for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts