Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how much oil it takes to bring the oil level up one notch on a D'max dip stick?

Jim

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I'm thinking probably because hes low.........

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think it depends on where you start checking. First 5 qts don't show at all, LOL ha ha ha then it's 1 QT per hash mark (I think), but what the hell do I know, I put in 11 QTS every change to reach the top mark......all the way full for me is 11 QTS. That's my story and I' am sticking to it!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Macklin....shame, shame on you, I know why you replied..... LOL and twice too!! You didn't get credit for the second one by the way. LOL

Don't be looking over your shoulder, I'll tap you on it as I go by ha ha

Regards,

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mackin said:
I'm wondering why you need to know .....

Mac

What is it they say about "inquiring minds wanting to know?"
Reason is pretty simple .... a few days after I change oil (10 quarts and a filter) it reads 1 notch below full. So far (47,000+ miles) it will stay there until the next change. Just wondering how much to add to top it off? Have considered leaving it low to make room for fuel when my rust blasted injectors start to go!

Jim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
JEBar said:
Mackin said:
I'm wondering why you need to know .....

Mac

What is it they say about "inquiring minds wanting to know?"
Reason is pretty simple .... a few days after I change oil (10 quarts and a filter) it reads 1 notch below full. So far (47,000+ miles) it will stay there until the next change. Just wondering how much to add to top it off? Have considered leaving it low to make room for fuel when my rust blasted injectors start to go!

Jim
OUCH !!!!!

Should take about a half a quart ....

Mac

·
Registered
55 Posts
While we are on the subject of the steel cable that is used a dip stick, does anyone know of an after market replacement with a locking top, similar to the transmission stick?

Thanks,

ponz

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I've yet to see one ... Why do you want a replacement ?? Some guys have modified there's for easier reading .... They drilled small holes in the steps or notches on the dip "cable",not proper to call it a stick in our case ...

Me, I don't have a problem there's normally a little puddle of black stuff at every notch ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
361 Posts
The '04 no longer has the locking trans dip stick

·
Registered
432 Posts
JE Bar........this is exactly why I add 11 qts at each change. It's 1 qt from the last "bar" to the very top of the in range xxxxxxx mark. I've checked it hot, cold, level, same day, next day whatever.

Only thing I can point to is I let it drain 30 minutes everytime I change it and maybe I am getting just a little bit more of the old stuff out than everyone else is. I also change it on a steep incline with bolt hole pointing down. Anyway, I change it every 5K and been this way last 20K (4 changes) always 11 qts to the very top of the in range mark. I like it full as it runs cooler (in my mind, more oil is more cooling capacity).

So put in 11 qts and smile, by the time you are ready to change it again you will be where everyone else is when they started out after a change, down 1 QT. LOL

Edited by: Chevysrus

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chevysrus said:
So put in 11 qts and smile, by the time you are ready to change it again you will be where everyone else is when they started out after a change, down 1 QT. LOL

Understood ... Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts