Diesel Place banner

Dimples on Bedrail

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Zeeb 
#1 ·

Did some light duty work on my '04 GMC 2500HD. I used the tire as a step putting my hands on the bedrail 6 or 8 times to lift myself up in to the bed and did the same getting out. When I was there were dimples all over the area that may hands were.
I guess there is very thin sheet metal being used on the rails. One would think the metal along the bed rails would tend to be thicker.

Just a word of caution...hope it does not happen to anyone else.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dont feel too bad; I noticed that when I transfered my toolbox from my F-350 to my new Silverado that the bedrail on the Silverado is double wall! I was very pleased.

A thought to alleviate your problem is to Line-X your bed over the rail. I do the same thing as you all the time and never have a problem...

#3 ·
Too late. I have two on the LH rail in my truck. I guess caps are in order now...

#4 ·
Now if you had read every single post on this site and the"other" site you would have known that those dimples are put there so that if your truck is stolen it can easily be identified from your handprint!! LOL ha ha ha

Been there and done that.......One! Too bad it's so thin in a spot you would think was thick.

Hard cover bed lids cover that stuff really really well...ha ha ha

#5 ·
Again the challenge to the HD title in my truck's name. Nothing heavy duty about it.

The bed does have a cleaner look with the double wall...but the double wall does nothing for the strength of the rails....at least the Fords have a bed rail cap to help out.

#6 ·
The GM duallies come with bed rail caps, with the 2500HD you've gotta buy them at the parts counter..

I learned the hard way, don't use the bed rail as a step!

#8 ·
humm weird, my dads truck had this dimples kinda lookin things from the lot, do you think you just noticied it or??? We got his truck with 8 miles on it, I don't think they could have done that much damage in 8 miles???? Just wondering. I agree Line-X over the rail is sweet, looks great on white or black trucks and the line-x shine really looks sharp.

Lenny

#9 ·
Man I dont understand this issue.

You guys got me all worried cuz I've used the bedrail numerous times by hand and foot so I go running out there to see if theres 'dimples' and there's Nothing! My rails seem as strong as any truck I've had.

Maybe the Line-X is preventing the problem, but I would'nt really think so...

~~dont get like the diesel stop here

#10 ·
The Line-x guy told me about the dimple problem...I though we was just trying to sell me more product. He was right...I have not line-x'd her yet but it will fixed with line-x or a cap.

#12 ·
I've been convinced, not into the Line-X type coatings so I've ordered a bed mat, but I called the guy and told him to get me the stainless bed cap liners along with the other goodies.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Camstyn,

As far as I and the dealer can determine, my Dooley isn't coming with the bed caps, I think they're optional for the Dooley's as well now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.