Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my gear/tranny indicator (PRND12) has been getting dim. After awhile it seems to brighten up, but initially it can be real dark where I can't see what gear I shifted to. Anyone else have this problem? My search didn't return any matches.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is it doing this on a cold start, by any chance?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely for cold starts. However, even when warm it's still pretty dim. After some time, then it seems to get brighter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Could it possibly be that your auto headlights are coming on and the dimmer is turned down some? If were the case the radio and climate displays would also be dim.

·
Registered
453 Posts
reyb;1590583; said:
Definitely for cold starts. However, even when warm it's still pretty dim. After some time, then it seems to get brighter.
Two things happen when you start the truck. There is an intake air heater that brings the incoming air charge up to temperature, and the glow plugs come on.
One goes off, then the other and the lights on the dash follow that. Suckers pull a lot of juice.

I'm willing to bet this is what's happening.
Watch the voltmeter on startup. If it's like mine, it is below the middle mark for about 30 seconds, comes up to the mark, lingers, then jumps over to the "normal" position. All the lights are dim during this procedure.

I use this as a guide as to when I can move the truck.

Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts