Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil in both diffs. & transfer case this weekend. Truck has 1000 miles. Rear was at least a qt low if not 2 qts. Front was a little low too. Man was that oil dirty!! LOTS of metal for only 1000 miles! Transfer case looked like metalic paint!! Rear smelled bad too!!
My father was around and said I was crazy for doing this with so little miles until he saw what came out!! Then he said it was a good thing I did it!!

Replaced everything with amsoil! It went so easy I think I'll change everything again around 5000 miles to see what it looks like!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What did you put in the transfer case? My understanding is that you can just use Trans fluid. How much did the transfer case take?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Transfer case only needs DexronIII ATF. Keep an eye on the transfer case since you had metal in it. I did not have any metal in mine when changed, there are several topics on the site about failures in the transfer case which lead to the case having to be replaced due to a clip coming off and allowing metal to metal contact.

I think everyones rear diff has been low on the initial change which is one reason for doing it that early. The fluid smelling bad is normal nicknamed "grape juice" due to that smell. The amount of metal in the front and rear diff is normal also.

Just keep an eye on the transfer case.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search and it seems that a lot of people are finding metal in the transfer case. That is why I changed it! Too bad there is no magnet on the plug for the transfer case!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
My transfer case has always shown some metallic flakes on lube changes. The Transfer mechanism is a large chain and multi-row sprocket setup, it produces metal. Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
83 Posts
Changed my xfer case a couple of weeks ago also and like others surprised how dirty it was.

Used transynd .

·
Registered
326 Posts
My tcase fluid was good, but the stuff that came out of my diffs -- especially the front -- was disgusting.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Transfer case fluid looked like metalic red paint when I changed it. Front differential pretty bad with some yellow stuff mixed in. It was also a qt low the first time I changed it.

The rear differential pretty dirty. That was 2 qts low.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We hear a lot about mustard appearance of the lube in the front diff. I looked at mine and see nothing out of the unusual. Yes, it did have some yellowish substance that I recognized from my HS metal shop days 44yrs ago. Looks to me like machine cutting oil we used on our metal lathes. So, not being surprised, I left mine in for good health. Mother GM has a method to her madness

1 - 9 of 9 Posts