Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similar thread this past fall, but the warm-start problem continues. I just replaced the fuel filter on my '03 GMC 3500 DMax (57K miles), along with both original Delco batteries (had reached the end of their life here in Texas). The truck cranks right up in the mornings (or whenever it's had a chance to completely cool down), but takes a good 2-3 extra seconds to start when warm (that seems like an eternity when you're crankin' the starter!). The truck runs/idles fine otherwise. Start of an injector problem possibly? Ideas??? Suggesions??? As always, thanks...

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is a 99% chance it is injectors.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Personally, a "hard warm start" is two-ten minutes and it still doesn't start. Two-three seconds extra, not considered a hard warm start. Not to mention, with your mileage, you barely got the motor broke in!!!

Really though, I've had two occasions in the last six months where the truck wouldn't start when warm, and when I say wouldn't start, I mean too the point of killing the batteries. After ten minutes or so. Thats a hard warm start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understand where you're coming from, Shakes, but something sure ain't right. Never had this problem with my '02 Chevy 3500 D-Max, though. When you hear that starter crankin' for that long with nothing happening, it makes you nervous! I'm gonna' take it in soon for an injector check/replacement. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
could be injectors. have it checked for high return rates.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger wilco, Stroke250 - I'll have that return rate checked when I take it in to the dealer on Thursday for my, of all things, heater core replacement. Can't believe that's already gone bad on an '03 model...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
pepfoot, i had the same situation you had basically and it was injectors with high return rates. not saying its guaranteed, but its more than likely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped my '03 3500 D-max off at the (Chevy) dealer this morning for my heater core replacement. This morning (to continue the thread), the truck took a while to start even when cold - a first. I cranked it at the dealership so the advisor could witness the warm-start problem & the truck complied - it took about 3-4 seconds to start. I got a call a little later & the advisor told me that his diesel tech agreed with you guys that the problem is likely injector related. Down here in the Houston area, they like to do 'brand specific' injector replacements, i.e. Chevy dealers will do only Chevys & GMC dealers will do GMCs, so I'm being referred to the GMC dealer for the (hopeful) injector replacement. Hope this'll finally take care of the problem 'cause I certainly love the truck otherwise! One last question - are any of the aftermarket fuel filters highly recommended or is it best to stick with the 'improved' factory one? Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
the nicktane system is highly recommended and used by many others on here. there are others available too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...sometimes thing just work out! Even though my local Chevy dealer doesn't usually do this (crossing-over between GM name plates), they got permission from the GM rep to go ahead & change out all my injectors on the '03 GMC 3500 while the truck is there for its heater core replacement. Seems the truck 'cooperated' & would not start without great difficulty when they tried to move it around the shop. I'm just glad to get that over & done with (well, hopefully done with!). Thanks to all for the helpful advice... :D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Please let me know if the new injectors solved the problem. I just had mine towed to the GMC dealer when mine for the second time in two months, would not start until it completely cooled. It exhibits hard warm starts, 20 to 30 seconds at times, intermittently. They started off telling me it was the fuel filter, but I just replaced it two weeks ago. The problem was there before and after.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As much as I did not want it to be true a new set of injectors fixed mine ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts