Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between having a posi differential, and a limited slip, i know a locker will provide power to both wheels always, but how do u engage it (if its not an air locker) this is something that has always confused me and i decided i want to learn about them

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
posi is normally referred to as rearend. Limited slip is normally referred to as front end. Basically the same though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
diffs

first you have to get the terminology correct some refer a limited slip is the same as a posi limited slip is a gm term an open diff is when only one tire is driving the rear. The limited slip or posi is controled by clutches,cones or gears.The cone setup is made by auburn gear the clutch setup im not sure and the gear setup is a gm setup for the newer setups.I'm sure someone will correct me or fill in the blanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
GM's Gov Lock is a clutch system

·
Registered
14 Posts
a locker can be engaged with air, or electronicly , or with a cable, detroit also makes one that is auto matic ( it unlocks when turning then locks for straight). an open dif will lose all traction when one will has none, with a limited slip if there is poor traction then they both get equal traction but if one wheel is off the ground same as open dif. Detroit also makes a thing called the TruTrac, it sends the power to the wheel with the most traction, the trutrac would be best suited up front unless ur a hard core rock crawler or mudder. id say in general the setup u need it based on what your goin to be doing with your truck, i have limited slip front and rear ( i used to have open front and still didnt have much problems) and dont have a problem gettin any where, but i also dont go rock crawlin. keep in mind this is an old bronco tho.
hope this helps u out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts