Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone happen to know the part number for the rear diff. gasket. Tis the 14 bolt unit.:help:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well....I was wondering the same thing. When I did my rear axle service I was told that GM no longer uses rear axle gaskets! I went to a couple of more parts stores with no additional information. But to my suprise, when I performed the service there was a factory gasket in place! Go figure.:D

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I replaced the rear axle gasket 01/26/02 on my 2002 D/A with the 14 bolt, 11.5" AAM rear end. At that time, the GM # was 12471447.
I think I had to take bad the first gasket they gave me, which was the wrong one. Part #'s at GM seem to change from time to time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just use some good 'ol RTV sealant, like UltraCopper. Make sure to get any left-over residue off both the cover and diff, put a small bead on the cover and button the thing up. The best results are achieved if you let the RTV 'set-up' for +/- 24 hrs before adding the lube. This has worked for me for many years. Cheers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
:exactly: I did mine with RTV and let it sit for about two hours in a unheated/uninsulated shop, temp. inside was in the high 20's and it still sealed up tight with no leaks to date.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I use the gasket, but Untra Blue both sides of it. Removal is very easy with no scrapping.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Mag-hytec uses a o-ring. Will never leak. Even if you remove the cover and reinstall it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
RTV it all the way around let it set for a few min and bolt the cover back on that is what my dad and i have done for years

·
Registered
706 Posts
i just got a gasket the other day at autozone, only a few dollars, just give them the model of your truck and they look it up that way.
-Paul

·
Registered
159 Posts
had mine replaced twice while under warranty, when it happened after the warranty expired I used some good ol' rtv, haven't had an issue since

1 - 10 of 10 Posts