Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing my front, rear and transfer case fluids and cannot find capacities. I am going to purchase 80-90w for differentials with an additive recommended (locking) by local chevy dealer and redline fluid for transfer case and just need to know how much to buy. Once I start I am stranded till finished thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have my Helm's manual here... but my recollection is 4 qts in the rear (no additive) and 2 qts in the front (note that a GM container of this fluid is less than 1 qt). Perhaps someone can verify these and give the transfer case amount as well!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The front diff is 2 quarts, as is the tcase. The rear capacity depends upon the motor size; 2 quarts if you have the 6.0 and 4 if you have either the 8.1 or dmax.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure what year truck you have but the 2500HD '03 and '04 years require a synthetic in the rear differential.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For the Dmax there is 1.83 quarts int he fornt & 3.62 quarts in the rear.Transfer case 2 quarts should work.

I have been told not to buy the rear diff fluid with locking additive, only synthetic for the rear for sure. Synthetic is optional for the front but the vent cap needs to be changed to the white one if not already present if synthetic is added to front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts