Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have come here for some information. I do mechanical work on a train locomotive, a General Motors EMD E8A diesel built in 1953. It has two 111.5L V12 supercharged diesel engines with a total of 2,250HP and 56,000lbs of tractive effort (locomotive's version of torque). I am playing with the idea of using a 6.5L Detroit Diesel out of an old C series pickup to build a generator set to supply 480VAC hotel power to the passenger cars for lighting, HVAC, etc. It needs to be at least half the output of this Cummins generator set:
https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/PS5Content/SiteContent/en/Binary_Asset/pdf/Commercial/Diesel/s-1582.pdf
Now the reason I am trying to use a V8 design instead of a I6 design like the Cummins is because of space restraints. Most locomotives with hotel power have the batteries located underneath the locomotive, giving space in the entire rear room for the genset, in our case we don't have that luxury because the batteries also occupy that space. So basically could a built 6.5L turbo diesel handle the strain of being at a constant high RPM for long periods of time? Would this be a good platform for what I am wanting to do?

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
6.5's are used as boat motors with sustained high rpms so they should work for your similar application. Just keep up on the maintenance like any other good piece of machinery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6.5's are used as boat motors with sustained high rpms so they should work for your similar application. Just keep up on the maintenance like any other good piece of machinery.
Good deal. How much power can you squeeze out of these engines while maintaining reliability in general?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Boats often have an unlimited supply of water to keep 'em cool...
I suspect thats going to be the biggest hurdle with this type of project..

The 6.5L Turbo Diesel is a LT DUTY industrial engine, with more emphasis placed on maximum fuel economy than making maximum power..

I think its feasible project provided you can interface the DS4's PCM with the GCM or you may need to go to DB2 or the hipo marine version of it depending on the gens HP/TQ requirements.... AND KEEP IT COOL..

Contrary to what you may read on the net. The 6.5s NORMAL commuting operating temps are between 190°- and 210°. 210°-230° is the NORMAL work zone operating range. 235° is the max safe operating temp or so Ive read. Ive seen and substaned 225° a few times without incident.. I drive accordingly, but you cant exactly slow down or pull the gen off line to cool off soooo..

Run a super sized radiator with multiple electric or hydraulic fans ought to do the trick..

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You gotta be joking. A little 6.5 running a alternator that needs a twin turbo engine (14.5L) more than twice its size. ?? What are you a troll?
WTF don't all DE locomotives have their own power generating systems? They are all 12V to 16V Detroit /MTU / Cummins diesel engines powering a huge alternator that makes them Roll and supplies power. Cant you tap off that???? Please explain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You gotta be joking. A little 6.5 running a alternator that needs a twin turbo engine (14.5L) more than twice its size. ?? What are you a troll?
WTF don't all DE locomotives have their own power generating systems? They are all 12V to 16V Detroit /MTU / Cummins diesel engines powering a huge alternator that makes them Roll and supplies power. Cant you tap off that???? Please explain.
No I am not a troll. Just brainstorming some ideas. It wouldn't need to make the same amount of power as that Cummins genset because we only need it to power 3 cars vs the 16 that the Cummins can power. Yes this locomotive has 2 111.5L supercharged V12 diesels. They generate DC power from the main generator at 600V. Some locomotives have a HEP generator hooked up to one of the main engines, but they are computer controlled to run at redline RPM to supply the HEP and power to the traction motors was controlled by varying the field excitation of the main (traction) generator. This locomotive does not have that capability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Boats often have an unlimited supply of water to keep 'em cool...
I suspect thats going to be the biggest hurdle with this type of project..

The 6.5L Turbo Diesel is a LT DUTY industrial engine, with more emphasis placed on maximum fuel economy than making maximum power..

I think its feasible project provided you can interface the DS4's PCM with the GCM or you may need to go to DB2 or the hipo marine version of it depending on the gens HP/TQ requirements.... AND KEEP IT COOL..

Contrary to what you may read on the net. The 6.5s NORMAL commuting operating temps are between 190°- and 210°. 210°-230° is the NORMAL work zone operating range. 235° is the max safe operating temp or so Ive read. Ive seen and substaned 225° a few times without incident.. I drive accordingly, but you cant exactly slow down or pull the gen off line to cool off soooo..

Run a super sized radiator with multiple electric or hydraulic fans ought to do the trick..
Hey man, thank you for your well thought out and informative response. The cooling shouldn't be an issue. I can either install an isolated cooling system for just that engine, or there might be a way to tie it in to the main cooling system. Any suggestions as to what size radiator should be used? I don't know a lot about these Detroit engines.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
6.5 powered Generator...It's been done.
During Hurricane Katrina, we had a guy come on who was trying to keep his 6.5 generator set up and running. As a forum, 'we' did it. Of course, now I can't find it but I'll keep searching.
I've seen them as the drive train on a belt fed log splitter set up as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6.5 powered Generator...It's been done.
During Hurricane Katrina, we had a guy come on who was trying to keep his 6.5 generator set up and running. As a forum, 'we' did it. Of course, now I can't find it but I'll keep searching.
I've seen them as the drive train on a belt fed log splitter set up as well.
Good to know! I hope you can find it. Do you recall what the output of that generator was by chance?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Good to know! I hope you can find it. Do you recall what the output of that generator was by chance?
Sorry, no I can't. It was in 2007 and in reviewing my replies, it would appear that I can't go back past 2009 so I'm no help at all. Search function brings up some comments from 2007...Perhaps one of the Moderators can help.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
The 6.5 isn't a "Detroit Diesel" it's a Chevrolet engine. The 6.2 diesel engines were cast by Detroit Diesel and assembled by Chevrolet. The rights to the 6.5 were sold to American General in 2000 or so. American General created a engine division called General Engine Products or GEP. GEP redesigned the block and heads to fix the GM failures. GEP has Navistar cast the blocks and heads. The new 6.5s are the best yet.
Do some searching and reading about : GEP, Optimiser and P400.
I believe there is a company in Wisconsin? called Franklin that produces gen sets or did, with 6.5 power. I believe that is where Kennedy Diesel was getting their GEP replacement engines from at one time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts