Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if everything on the LLY and the Lbz are different then is it possible to have the 06 LLY programmed to have the same power as the LBz and if so would a dealership b able to do it?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Hey if everything on the LLY and the Lbz are different then is it possible to have the 06 LLY programmed to have the same power as the LBz and if so would a dealership b able to do it?
There has been a lot of discussion about this here, but I still don't see a definitive answer.

I wonder what would happen if you installed a '06 LBZ ECM into a '06 LLY. All the other electronics appear to be compatible. has anyone tried this?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You would have to order a PCM, which I'm not sure if you can just plain out order one, and then it would needed to be programmed through the Tech2.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
It seems to me it would be possible for them to update the 06 LLY to the same programming as the LBZ, but I doubt any dealer would do that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
LBZ pcm

I asked a parts guy about a LBZ pcm and he said to order one he needed a VIN from a LBZ.I thought about the 6 on their lot but I did'nt want to get him in trouble(he was willing to do it).I don't know too much about the tech.end of it but was concerned about a different vin pcm and it talking to the other modules with the stock vin.If your dealer had to access your pcm later I would guess that they could figure out what had been done.I'm still interested in doing it,but for now I'll enjoy my 06'LLY with 5000 trouble free miles!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good Question

That is funny this post came up I have been thinking the same thing.

A question for anyone here should I just buy a 06 lly and get the extra 1000 rebate or should I order a lbz and weight 8-10 weeks.Whats the difference I figure just add a chip to the lly and I will have the same if not more power and that will still leave me 750 ahead of the game.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dieselman I agree there is athread with a lot of good info, but it also has a lot of info that is hard to sort out. It would be nice if someone that realy knows would state the facts and end the speculation. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I retrack my last post, I reread the recommended post and it appears to me it says: LBZ and 2006 LLY have the same hardware with different software.

·
Registered
272 Posts
...should I just buy a 06 lly and get the extra 1000 rebate or should I order a lbz and weight 8-10 weeks....

LLY is ZF-6 only, if want the Allison its LBZ

They also jacked the price too

LLY - $5,310
LBZ - $6,030

Chevy - LLY limited availability in the 2500, on hold in the 3500.
GMC - - LLY on hold all models

·
Registered
693 Posts

LLY - $5,310
LBZ - $6,030
My LLy has the auto ally, The only reason I didnt go LBZ was all the LBZ's were Retrofitted with $10,000 in extras. As soon as some big contenders come out with chips the power levels will be equal

·
Registered
125 Posts
As far as i know the LBZ has 40 more hp and 45 more pounds torgue. My 2006 LT3 LLY has the Allison 6 speed auto transmission with the Duramax engine. I think its called the power package on the sticker. Not sure exactly about the hp and torgue increase in the LBZ but my LLY has 310hp and 605 torque. This was the first 2006 LT3 4x4 that the dealer got on their lot and was purchased the day it arrived which was Aug. 22nd 2005. I didnt know anything about the future change of the LLY to the LBZ at the time. It would not have made any difference to me if i had knew. I got a great price on the truck which was the employee discount pricing that was going on at that time. The dealer told me the LLY in my truck is suppose to be quieter and put out less emissions than the 05 LLY. I know is is a lot quieter than my buddies 03 lb7 and has a lot more power than his truck. This truck may not have as much hp as the LBZ but has way more than enough for anything that i need to do.

·
Registered
263 Posts

LLY - $5,310
LBZ - $6,030

Chevy - LLY limited availability in the 2500, on hold in the 3500.
GMC - - LLY on hold all models
I'm on the fringe of ordering a new Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax and a 6sp manual (LLY). Are you saying that the LLY's, therefore the manuals, are limited availability ??? Is GM phasing out the manuals ?? If so, I better get my order in FAST !

Mmaybe the newer production line '06s with manuals will be LBX's ???

·
Registered
679 Posts
As far as I know all manual tranny power plants are still rated to the original 300 Hp/520 ft-lbs whether its an 01 or an 06

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think the last day you could order a LLY/Ally was 09-24-05.

Dont have the link with me, but my info shows that the above holds are correct. Not phasing out manuals, but could be a temporary shortage of LLYs or just waiting to get a stack of orders to build all at one time. No hold showing for the ZF or 8.1L.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm on the fringe of ordering a new Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax and a 6sp manual (LLY). Are you saying that the LLY's, therefore the manuals, are limited availability ??? Is GM phasing out the manuals ?? If so, I better get my order in FAST !

Mmaybe the newer production line '06s with manuals will be LBX's ???
Same here I better hurry up and get my truck ordered, I want that LBZ but i want that 6 speed more. What do yall think? I could allway up the power and torque to the same level as the LBZ am I right or wrong?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I ordered my LLY/ZF6 on February 4th and have a TPW of 2/27. I doubt they will clump them together in assembly since they are a low runner. More opportunity to screw up if you build too many at one time. It also kind of muffs up the balance of the assembly line. Everything is optimized to drop an Allison in the chassis.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My understanding was the LBZ was all built up in the lower end and has a different comp. ratio than the LLY. Go to your dealer and ask the parts guy and the service manager if the internal parts are the same for both engines. The other thing is what i read somewhere along the line is the 6 speed manual can't handle the torque of the LBZ. My guess is that they will make one to fit it sometime in the future. The clutch alone is gonna have to be huge to accomadate the torque on take off with the gcvw they list. 605 ft/lb taking off with say a 14000 trailer and 650ft/lb taking off with the same trailer will create a major stress difference on the clutch.
Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
91 Posts
LBZ & LLY difference

There are several internal differences in these engines.
The LBZ is 360Hp @ 650 Ft-lbs of torque. Articles are all over
the internet regarding the introduction of the LBZ and the new
changes GM made to increase and handle the extra power,
noise level and lower emissions.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
I'd keep the LLy for now. Not much out there for the new kid on the block. Dam them for changing stuff up

1 - 20 of 37 Posts