Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot see any difference with the grill cover on my 06 LBZ as far as warm up. Does not using the lower cover defeat the effectiveness of blocking air for quicker warm up? Does it do harm to just use the grill cover? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
The difference that you will notice is when it is real cold outside (25 or less), and your driving on the highway, you will be able to get heat quicker, and maintain proper transmission temps. I am not sure where your from, but here in the Northeast, it gets pretty cold, and without the front grill cover, it takes a long time for the engine to get to operating temp. I have noticed that if the engine is warm, and I drive on the highway, when it is cold out, you can see the engine temp drop down from 190 to below 160 from the cold air going through the radiator. Our Duramax's have a very efficient cooling system. The grill cover block most of the air from going through the radiator, thus allowing the engine to get to operating temp quicker.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I installed just the grill cover yesterday. Outside temps here are around freezing at night with day temps a few degrees higher. The air for cabin heat was definately warmer with no noticeable change in temp gauge reading.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I put mine on last week too and it doesn't seem to warm up any faster (only been in the low teens here so far), however I did notice that the tranny temp comes up alot higher then without the winterfront on. Without the winterfront on, the tranny guage would barely read much higher than 100 deg. Now it will jump to right around 150 after about 25-30 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With my cover on, the cab heats up faster once I am on the road. The water temp is 184 after about 20 minutes of highway driving. With out it, It may take 30 minutes or more when the outside air temp is around 20 degrees.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Winter front

I know that this might be hard for some of you guys south of the border because I am going to state my temps in metric but with my full winter front on my temps are warm and warm up quite quickly.

I plug my truck in all the time now since it is -13 celcius this morning. When we had some -30 celcius weather last week, My outside temp in the rear view mirror was stating it was +17 celcius out and that is driving 65 mph. I believe that the temp probe must be in the front behind the bumper. The tranny temps were right in the middle of the guage and came to that temp quickly.

The winter fronts must be keeping all that engine temp in nicely. I am running synthetic engine oil and I was going to switch the tranny over to synthetic as well but with the temp coming up so quickly I am going to leave it. At those temps outside, when I go to start it up, the glow plug light doesn't even come on. I was going to put a oil pan heater on it and something to heat the glycol but I am not sure about that now.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I plug my truck in all the time now since it is -13 celcius this morning. When we had some -30 celcius weather last week, My outside temp in the rear view mirror was stating it was +17 celcius out and that is driving 65 mph. I believe that the temp probe must be in the front behind the bumper. The tranny temps were right in the middle of the guage and came to that temp quickly.
The air temp sensor is right in front of the radiator... There's a mod that kennedy wrote up about moving the sensor so that the temperature wont be compramised in the winter months with the cover on...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I know that this might be hard for some of you guys south of the border because I am going to state my temps in metric but with my full winter front on my temps are warm and warm up quite quickly.

The winter fronts must be keeping all that engine temp in nicely. I am running synthetic engine oil and I was going to switch the tranny over to synthetic as well but with the temp coming up so quickly I am going to leave it. At those temps outside, when I go to start it up, the glow plug light doesn't even come on. I was going to put a oil pan heater on it and something to heat the glycol but I am not sure about that now.
For anyone that is curious about the converted temperature here it is:

-17C = 1F
-13C = -22F
17 = 65F

I am not sure I understand the "+17 celcius out" part of the message, it may be a typo.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am not sure I understand the "+17 celcius out" part of the message, it may be a typo.
With the winter front on the sensor is no longer accurate, as outside air doesn't flow over the sensor making it read high.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Temp Sensor

With the winter front on the sensor is no longer accurate, as outside air doesn't flow over the sensor making it read high.
I moved the sensor to a hole in the chrome front bumper that is directly in line with the rectangular holes cut into the bumper. It seems to be more accurate. I had to take the front grill off in order to get at it with my stout stubby arms and hands! It is a good mod.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Temp. conversion typo

Not to rain on your parade MKAH, but you have a typo in your conversions!!

-13C=8.6F
-17C=1.4F
-30C=-22F

·
Registered
61 Posts
-40 is when celcius and farenheit are the same

·
Registered
106 Posts
+17

+17 Celcius is what the mirror was reading and that would be in the engine compartment. Celcius 0 is 32 farenheight. I know that the temps are probably not the most accurate, however they do show how much the winter front makes a difference to the fluid temps for your engine.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Mine never warms up without it. I dont know how people dont run it when its cold...Using Hyperpac live data, I'm only seeing 182F degrees coolant temp, fully warmed up, with temps in the single digits or below zero. When I stop, it drops immediately to around 175 or so.

My question is....And I discussed this the other day with someone.

At what temp does the coolant flush at? So if the coolant temp never reaches 195, (assuming the thermostat opens at or around there) the thermostat will never open. If I sit in park in temps in the teens and below, the truck will automatically high idle to retain its heat.

·
Premium Member
Slightly Modified 2006 CCSB LBZ w/ 595,750Km's
3,778 Posts
453...I run in cold temps too. So far since Nov end...it's been below freezing here....sometimes a lot below and sometimes just a bit. My coolant with or without the cover stays 180 or so. At or near freezing, I run without it...get down to 20F or lower and on it goes. My bug screen stays on all year and I just slip my cover inside of that. Easy in and easy out.

Merry Christmas..!!

stk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Temp vs economy

I'm new to diesels (purchased '07 Classic DMax in August) but have lots of experience with gassers. With fuel injected gassers the engine starts on enrichment (think choke) and enrichment decreases with engine temperature until it finally drops off near operating temperature.

My question is, are diesels similar? If so, what engine temp do we have to get to for best operation/economy?

Lynn

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
195-200 degrees. Diesels are not like gas engines. They are designed to operate at those temps. They're most efficient at those temps and generally lose efficiency below or above. Diesels generate very little heat at idle so unless high idle is engaged, they'll never warm up in cold climates. You have to work them to keep'em warm. I've never heard of a diesel overheating in cold temps. I'm not saying it cant happen but I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, Nick. Do you run both covers?

Lynn

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I run the grill cover and always will when its fridged cold out. I also did with my 04 GMC. I dont run the lower cover mainly because of my brushguard. I dont know how people dont use it when its cold. Mine will never warm up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, Nick. The weather here Sunday night was really bad with wind and snow and we drove the truck 22 miles to church and the trans temp never moved off the cold peg. I'm only running the grille cover right now, but tomorrow morning I will be putting the other cover on.

Sorry for so many questions.

Lynn

1 - 20 of 32 Posts