Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the 6.2 IP's, and the 6.9, and 7.3(mechanical) IP? I know they are both a DB-2, but are there any other differences?Does the 6.9/7.3 pump push more fuel. Could someone put a 6.9/7.3 injector pump in a 6.2 if they wanted to?

·
Registered
148 Posts
They look a little different. Another difference I believe is that they rotate in the opposite direction. I think that's a show stopper right there. :D

edit: I'm assuming that based on the fact that when you time a ford db2 pump, you must rotate it counterclockwise to advance it as opposed to the 6.2s where you rotate it clockwise.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
if you want to do something anything is possible with the right amount of money and ingenuity put into it....but why not just use a 6.5 pump or a marine 6.2 pump....more fuel delivery right there IIRC

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I do kind of feel stupid though. I should of known that the ford turned in opposite directions, because the ford is gear driven, while the chevy/gmc is chain driven.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Now reading that would make me want to investigate if the bolt pattern for the 6.2 timing gears is shared with anything, since they make actual mesh gearsets to replace the chain on other GM engines. The idea being that if you can convert a 6.2/6.5 to gears, maybe you can go the next step and run the Ford version IP too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
besides them turning in oppisite directions, they have different fuel delivery at various RPM's and the govenor cut out is different for each model.
Jay

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think you would be able to use a ford ip on a 6.2 even if it had gear timing set. Reason being is that the ford's IP gear runs directly on the cam gear, and when a gear and a gear are put together, the output of the two is spinning in an opposite direction. With a 6.2, however, to convert it to gear drive, you just put an idler gear in the middle. When you have a a middle gear added, it acts as a second reverser, making the output gear (IP gear) spin in the same direction of the cam gear (input gear)

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
though you could probably rig it to run off the idler gear....in theory it's possible

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
No reason to run a Ford IP. Not any that I can think of anyway. You can very easily set up almost any IP for more fuel output. These IPs can be set to pump more fuel than almost any 6.2L will use. Even with the turbo, you should be able to make it push some smoke no problem if you set it up right.

It is important that you have a good pump to start with though... If your pump is old an worn out one to begin with it may be hard to get it to perform properly.

The aftermarket gear drives use idlers to allow use of the original IP.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
With enough money anything is possible, but why? The Ford injection pump mounting pattern is different than the GM. We have built many high output injection pumps for Penninsular Diesel who sold high performance crate engines for boats and trucks. I am not sure if they still do or not. They had a four plunger head and rotor that really cranked out the fuel. That is still possible, but why? Buy a stock Duramax and you would be way ahead power wise.

Mark

·
Registered
238 Posts
Does anyone know how fuel mileage of the ford6.9 compares with the gm 6.2

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I don't think they really compare. For one thing, it was never put in the same truck... Any fuel mileage comparisons are, therefore, comparisons between Fords and Chevys (I'm not getting in the middle of that one :rolleyes:), not an accurate comparison of engine efficiency, and comparisons between trucks have way too many variables to compare accurately. From what I've read, the mileage of the 6.9 powered truck is, generally, not quite as good as a 6.2 powered truck, but it is still quite good, and who knows what differences are generated by the different trucks.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Peninsular does still sell high performance 6.2/6.5 stuff. The 4 plunger DB-2 mentioned is what was used to make that other site's 300 horse 6.5 turbo.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Peninsular does still sell high performance 6.2/6.5 stuff. The 4 plunger DB-2 mentioned is what was used to make that other site's 300 horse 6.5 turbo.
The four plunger head and rotor used in high output 6.5L marine applications is available. Pricing is $519.97 plus the cost to install it into and rebuild your pump. :rocking:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts