Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i cant find the answer to my question doing a search but i am looking to get the trans go jr kit and ive been looking around and i cant tell if theres a difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed as far as the kits go and i also heard that the allison can relearn to shift and the kit dosent do anything at all is this true or just a myth

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The Transgo kit is the same regardless of the year. The JR kit is intended for the 6 speed guys as it does not include the C2 mods and drainback mods that are not needed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Eric, how much power is safe to run on the jr.? I have flashpaq on lowest setting, the higher two just don't feel good when shifting. Any help would be great

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
T2CH;1587340; said:
Eric, how much power is safe to run on the jr.? I have flashpaq on lowest setting, the higher two just don't feel good when shifting. Any help would be great
You must give the tcm time to learn each new power setting.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I understand, I did what ron said to do but the truck just does not seem to learn that much. John Kennedy said all brand X programers do this but he did not say to what degree. I guess I would just like to know how much the jr. will help with this problem. Also, are the clutches stronger in the 6 speed than the 5 or is the pump the weak link? Higher pump pressure- less clutch slippage, more strain on pump, that sort of thing?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering the same thing T2CH i usally run my edge on 3/1 but some times i like to turn it up a little bit and i was hoping this would solve my problem of poor shifting until i can get some more $$

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
As the power goes up it takes the transmission TCM some time to learn what it needs to do. This will take about 10 - 15 shifts at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% throttle. So that's a total of about 60 shifts to learm and if you do not do them it will not learn. Each time you change the power setting you need to do it again. The Transgo kit helps firm up the shifts and resolves a weak C2 area for the 5 speeds. The Transgo Jr. does the same for the 6 speeds as Allison improved the C2 area in the 6 speed. If you own a 5 speed and do not have the bucks to do a rebuild buy the full kit and only install the trim valves which can be done without transmission removal. Then save the rest of the kit to be installed when you do a rebuild.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have tried this but maybe I did not do it right. I got a little nervous holding 100% throttle through 6th gear as the Va state police would just love to have what they would consider a high speed chase on thier hands.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you guys for the info i appreciate it i think im gonna take a road trip to see eric at merchant and get the transgo jr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts