Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just got my 07 to 2500 mi. and went ahead and changed my own rear differential oil. Would have never attempted it if it wasn't for this site. I like the fact that I worked on my own truck.

BUT I'm still learning. Two questions: 1. When I cleaned off my drain plug magnet, it had 'sludge' on it, almost a toothpaste texture, is that normal?

2. I put in 4 quarts of 75-90 Mobil-1 Syn Gear Oil. When I put my pinkie in the fill hole after the 4 new quarts, I didn't feel the oil, was I suppost to?

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
1) That's break in particles (very fine metal filings) and normal.

2) If you put all 4 qts in you should be topped off but only if it was setting on the ground. If it was jacked up (and on stands) it wouldn't read full to the top.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Dont feel bad mine was low from brand new.I had them change and fill to correct level.They filled the chunk till it came out the hole.I watched them do it.Dont know how many qts .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent! Thanks ya'll. It feels good to do your own work. Next up is oil change and fuel filter. Still nervous about both of those.

·
Registered
924 Posts
dduck;1601585; said:
Excellent! Thanks ya'll. It feels good to do your own work. Next up is oil change and fuel filter. Still nervous about both of those.
make sure you have fuel in the new filter putting back on.Next comes the mods .Get your visa or master card out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
btfarm;1601555; said:
1) that's break in particles (very fine metal filings) and normal. 2) if you put all 4 qts in you should be topped off but only if it was setting on the ground. If it was jacked up (and on stands) it wouldn't read full to the top.
x2

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
maxy;1601605; said:
make sure you have fuel in the new filter putting back on.
Bad move - run the risk of ingesting unfiltered fuel into the motor. Put the filter on w/o fuel then use the primer and bleeder screw (unless the 2007 has something different I don't know about).

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
skoryaro2;1602820; said:
Bad move - run the risk of ingesting unfiltered fuel into the motor. Put the filter on w/o fuel then use the primer and bleeder screw (unless the 2007 has something different I don't know about).
I agree. Never prefill the fuel filter. I read on this site at one time I think that Cat mounts there filters upside down to prevent you from doing it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
skoryaro2;1602820; said:
x3..Really good idea to use primer pump and bleed screw..

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Maybe I missed something, or I didn't get enough sleep, but I think there are two different topics being discussed on this thread. In any event, it is all real good info!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts