Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had the truck in the shop for some warranty work, I decided to go ahead and get some front diff. oil from the dealer. I had checked the level the night before and it was a little low. I called, asked for two quarts, and told them to have it ready for me to pick-up w/ the vehicle. As long as I'm going to add some, it's not much more to just replace the two quarts - so I'd do a change.

I take the bag, with two containers of the correct part number, home.

I drain my differential and start adding fluid. Well, to my dismay, I discover that I don't have two quarts - I have two 23 oz bottles. Two quarts is 64 oz, while I only have 46 oz. Boy, does this burn me up! Especially since I asked for two quarts and paid a premium for less than two quarts. So, now I have to go back to the dealer for more. It's only a few ozs low since the actual capacity is under two quarts.

I guess I can drive the truck to work tomorrow since the measured level is actually higher than it was before. Still, now I have to wait until tomorrow evening to finish the job. I wonder how many service guys just add two containers w/o checking the amount in the container. I guess I'm just dumb for not checking the amount before I left the dealer. Of course, they list the amount in ounces and liters to confuse customers! Although I didn't believe it before, I'm really starting to believe that the goal is to rip off customers!!Edited by: tundracamper

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>What did they sell you? I've never seen differential lube in 23 oz bottles.</DIV>
<DIV>All the stuff I've bought is in 32 oz containers, 1 quart.</DIV>

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
23 32

You sure you're not dislexic?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottle specifically states it contains 23 oz (0.680 Liters). Do the conversion and you'll see they match. Note that nowhere does it state any quart unit. You can put the bottle up next to a quart of oil and tell it is smaller.

This is the fluid for the front differential on a 2500 HD. It's the GM part number listed in the Helm's manual (1052271). It is a 23 oz bottle - go figure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
youre doin' it right...if you want it done right ,you gotta doit yourself..right??..i just went over to auto zone and got 2 qts of mobil 1 75-90 aand dumped her in..i didnt care for the 26 dollar a quart price from gm ! later bc

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow. Differential fluid is going the same route as the 1 lb cans of coffee did years ago. Back then, some corporate genius figured you can package less than a pound and sell it for the more money than a pound of coffee.

The marketing people even tried to BS you by saying it processed differently so you use less, so it still really is like a pound of coffee.

Well guess what after a few years the consumers bought the BS

Humm? Lets see the GM ad. The front differential requires 2 quarts. Use two bottles of our 23 oz specially formulated differential fluid that is better than 2 quarts.

WOW!!! I figgured it out. That's why our differential levels are low... We're using that new improved fluid which really is like using two quarts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to a closer GM dealer yesterday to get one more 2/3 quart of oil. He looked at me like I was nuts. "What are you doing putting this in your front for, its for the rear," he said. I said I used that oil because the truck was fairly new and that's what the Helm's manual spec'd. I asked him why the container didn't come in a quart size. His response was "Because it's easier for GM to rip off customers that way." And that's form a dealer!

As stated above and in the topic, I would not be too shocked to learn that this has something to do with the low levels in differentials. In fact, when I put in two 2/3 quarts
, my diffential level was actually higher than before I changed it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
JohnnyO said:
Wow. Differential fluid is going the same route as the 1 lb cans of coffee did years ago. Back then, some corporate genius figured you can package less than a pound and sell it for the more money than a pound of coffee.
They do this same crap with sheet wood now. Been to a home center lately to buy some plywood? Well, it's not 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", etc any longer -- it's measured in 32nd's of an inch! So, what used to be 1/2" is now 15/32". They shave off a 32nd and charge you more, for less wood! As if their milling machines are really that accurate anyway. What a joke...

·
Registered
444 Posts
From manual:

Usage: Rear Axle

Fuid/Lubricant: SAE 75W- 90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 12378261 or equivalent meeting GM Specification 9986115.

----------------------------------------------------
I looked up the GM spec in the corporate guidebook:

GM Specification 9986115: Package plain over the counter SAE 75W- 90 Synthetic Axle fluid in 23 oz bottles.

---------------------------------------------------

No wonder no other manufacturers meet the specification... They come in quarts.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I bought some of the "grape juice" today and it is in 32oz containers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts