Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find there are not any capacity listing for the front and rear diff's for my truck. Purchased this unit with 13k miles and want to change the front to Syn and change the rear. How much will each take.

I have also read about a "white cap" to be changed on the front diff when change to Syn oil. What is this cap?

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
It is 3.8 quarts, But when I changed my rear end fluid I dumped the full 4 quarts in. But now that I have a really big a$$ it takes 7.5 quarts.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If the front diff vent connector is black you will need to change it to part#12479296. The seal on the black connector is not compatable with synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information

I sure love this truck

·
Registered
463 Posts
GMCSID said:
If the front diff vent connector is black you will need to change it to part#12479296. The seal on the black connector is not compatable with synthetic fluid.

I just changed my front and rear diffs today, and I did not see where the front vent connector is located. Personally, I am kinda proud of myself for even finding the drain and fill plugs.
Can someone please tell this dummy where the vent connector is?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
463 Posts
GMCSID said:
If you look above the fill plug it's the large plastic thing.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Thank you very much!

Kevin

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am looking at changing the diffential fluids this weekend using Mobil 1 75-90. From the looks of things, I will have to drop the front skid plate to do the front. Also, it looks like a funnel will also be needed. What type of funnel and how big can the end be to fit into the fill hole?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm one of the only few members here who has a gasser.
I am wondering if mine (6.0L) has the exact same type of front and rear differential, and transfer case as those with Duramax/Allison? Because I will be getting some fluids and just need to confirm exactly how many quarts I will need. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No one know? Hmmmm. I just got my Helm manuals today. Althought it did list what the fluid capacity for each type of axle, tranny, etc, it still does not tell what mine have. There is no reference (as far as I know of) that I could find in the manual that would tell me exactly what my truck have. Anyone that could help me with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
your running gear should be the same as the D/A's. I cant see the gassers having differant axle's, and what not. the T case should be the same as the rest of the 4x's. All else fails you can pm gmcsid or Eric (dmaxallitech) they are very knowlegable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
akdually61,

I found out by another member that my gasser have the 10.5" rear instead of 11.5" on 8.1L and Duramaxes which did surpised me. Kind of interesting that a truck with same chassis would have a different rear axle depending on the transmission/motor.

Thanks for trying anway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts