Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the pyro probe goes into the exhaust pipe, guessing engine temp is taken off the block.. What would you get different from a pyro gauge then you would from the engine gauge. I don't have a pyro but I have seen my engine temp go up while towing up a hill.. Same thing? I'm just happy when it comes back down as soon as she levels off.

Do you only need a pyro if you play with fuel flow?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Engine temp is engine coolant temp, pyro is measuring exhaust gas temp feeding turbo or leaving turbo depending where probe is mounted, Have you visited the Banks site yet as referred to in the welcome notes link, significance of EGT is there,

A pyro should have been supplied by GM IMO, ECT is too late to be be a good safe monitor of when to pull back from hard accel, the PCM will generally keep you safe so I guess GM figured EGT & boost did not need to be monitored, but they are great predictive instruments ofd problems as well, 2 of the most important pieces of info for a turbo equipped engine are boost & EGT IMO, GAUGES ARE MANDANTORY for any mod that alters boost or fuel higher than stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts