Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around here for 6 months off and on. Seems to be the best place for good info on Duramax troubleshooting/hop up advice.

Currently I own a 2004 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3 Z71, but I'm looking for a truck with a bit more pulling power. My current truck seems to struggle with a 2700lb trailer in even the smallest of hills. With a bigger trailer in the near future, I'm considering a 2007 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB/D/A with the LBZ, but I'm out of my element with the diesel. Some questions for you folks...

1. This would be a daily driver, including my 20 mile commute to work. On a 40 degree day, how long do I need to let a diesel idle before taking off in the morning?

2. At what temps would I need to worry about fuel gelling and using the block heater? This year has been a bit harsh here with a couple weeks below zero at night.

3. While I understand diesels aren't made for off-the-line speed, I do a fair bit of stop and go driving, living in the suburbs. How much slower are these trucks than a gasser? Anyone have 0-60 times for a stock D/A vs. 6.0L gasser? And how much of that gap can be made up with a programmer/exhaust/intake?

If there's a FAQ or something I can find these answers in, then please slap me and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
1. Turn the key and go. But I always set for 15-30sec just for good measure.
2. If this was a harsh year for you then, you have nothing to worry about.
3. Just test drive one, you will be amazed at how quick they are. But if that's not enough, we can help you get into the 11 sec quarter mile if you want.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You will be suprised how the duramax will perform when mods are added.As far as weight concern.2700lbs the duramax wont even grunt for power.The duramax loves pulling weight .The combination of the tranny and motor is awsome.Get in her and let oil come up and go.Just take her easy till the temps come up to operatable temps.Even a stock truck will out perform a gasser.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. I drive like an old man when my gasser is cold anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I just wondered if it took like 3 minutes for the glow plug light to turn off when it's cold out.

While I've got your attention, I read on this board that Chevy is running 0% for 60 months on 2500 Classics. As I understand it, this is only good through Tuesday 2/20. Can someone confirm that this applies to Crew Cabs with the LBZ? Just wanna have my ducks in a row when I talk with the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
924 Posts
The glow plugs are quick.Maybe 15 seconds then start.Once the truck is in the operating temps .No need to wait for the glow plugs .Just start and go.As long as the temps are up just start with no problems No need to wait when she is warmed up.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
TheGrouch;1600722; said:
Cool. I drive like an old man when my gasser is cold anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I just wondered if it took like 3 minutes for the glow plug light to turn off when it's cold out.

While I've got your attention, I read on this board that Chevy is running 0% for 60 months on 2500 Classics. As I understand it, this is only good through Tuesday 2/20. Can someone confirm that this applies to Crew Cabs with the LBZ? Just wanna have my ducks in a row when I talk with the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris
It does not take more than 4-6 seconds in the morning for the glow plugs, after the truck gets to running temp the glow plugs MIGHT stay on 1 second. It was 15 the other day here and mine went off in less than 5 seconds.

The 0 for 60 is on anything EXCEPT the Zo6 so you are good.

Do us all a favor, once you start posting often don't make up stupid stuff to post just to waste time. ^^^^^^^^. If have questions like you posted keep posting and learning. Welcome and good luck with your new truck.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
From Chevy.com

Silverado Classic 2500HD &LBZ (With LBZ Engine)
$1,250 Cash Allowances
or as low as 0.0% APR for qualified buyers. (2)

Silverado Classic 2500HD -LBZ (Without LBZ Engine)
$2,250 Cash Allowances

Silverado 3500 Classic &LBZ (With LBZ Engine)
$1,250 Cash Allowances

Silverado 3500 Classic -LBZ (Without LBZ Engine)
$2,250 Cash Allowances

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noproblem;1601629; said:
Do us all a favor, once you start posting often don't make up stupid stuff to post just to waste time. ^^^^^^^^. If have questions like you posted keep posting and learning. Welcome and good luck with your new truck.
Not sure what part of my post was stupid, but hey thanks for the warm welcome. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
TheGrouch;1601880; said:
Not sure what part of my post was stupid, but hey thanks for the warm welcome. :rolleyes:
NO NO NO I was not calling anything stupid at all. I was simply saying please make sure that you continue to ask decent questions rather than doing what others do and ask stupid questions. Your questions are fine, others just start threads just to start them.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
before buying, in all honesty, think about the FUTURE of your purchase.
I'm not saying everyone needs a dually, however, i had a paid off 2 year old 1500 sierra i had to trade in to tow our horse trailer...
COSTLY mistake. :)
Although, I LOVE this truck.
The glow plug light comes on 3-5 seconds, then you hit the key and it starts RIGHT up.
Acceleration? LMAO - this truck would beat the PANTS off your 5.3 without breaking a sweat... Mine's a 4x4 dually and my old 05 5.3 wouldnt stand a chance if i ran it down with bald tires in the rain with my dually.
It's THAT different. I LOVED my old truck, so i'm not saying by any means there's anything wrong with them, just a different breed of beast :)
Take care, and welcome to the forum... welcome!!!

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
noproblem;1601891; said:
NO NO NO I was not calling anything stupid at all. I was simply saying please make sure that you continue to ask decent questions rather than doing what others do and ask stupid questions. Your questions are fine, others just start threads just to start them.
LMFAO - that kind of hurt my feelings... (Totally Kidding!)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a PM from another member here that confirmed that it is indeed 0% for 60 months. I'm not sure why GM doesn't just put the rate for each of the typical terms (24, 36, 48, 60 months) on their website. Most of the time 0% is only good for 24 or 36 months...hence my question.

·
Registered
561 Posts
WELCOME to the Diesel Place...compared to some of the gentlemen and ladies on here I have minor mods done to my truck...if you are worried about it being pokey you shouldn't, mine has consistently be a chrysler 300c with a hemi...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
noproblem;1601891; said:
My bad. Your use of the "^^^^^^^" made me think you were talking about me.

No worries on the dumb question thing...I'm a big fan of using the search function first and asking questions only when the answer is not found.

·
Registered
762 Posts
diesel vs gasser

Hi, Welcome!

I've owned my 04' Duramax since April of 06'. The main difference I've noticed is when I floor it-full throttle on the diesel, it almost stalls. Totally different than a gas engine. You have to learn to roll in to the pedal, (i think this is due to the turbo-I THINK?) then be pinned back in the seat.
Takes gettin used to but once you do, the duramax will blow away the 6.0
Hope you get a great truck!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
TheGrouch;1601916; said:
My bad. Your use of the "^^^^^^^" made me think you were talking about me.

No worries on the dumb question thing...I'm a big fan of using the search function first and asking questions only when the answer is not found.
The ^^^^^^ was pointing to the target of my suggestion. Nothing to do with you.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.