Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed last night when I was getting on the freeway that a little smoke was coming out the exhaust the whole time I was getting up to freeway speed. I really noticed it becasue someone was behind me (this was a night) and I saw it their lights. Is this a usual thing? I was under the impression that there shouldn't be any smoke. I have about 2300 miles on it and changed the oil at 2000 with delvac 1300.

·
Registered
186 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Next time you see it check your operating temp. I've found in the area of 160 to 175 mine is doing the same thing. Thinking of taking it in next week</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
692 Posts
not having worked on the lly yet and not owning one i am going on diesel knowlege.this could be turbo lag. this happens when a vechicle is accelerated hard and fast.it takes split seconds for the turbo speed to catch up.
(more fuel less air)=smoke.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Don't forget that these are DIESEL engines and they will produce some soot, smoke, unburned fuel, or what ever you want to call it especially under acceleration. If you want a clean producing exaust pipe get a electric motor for an engine. Or maybe a propane burning truck.

It's no big deal don't worry about it unless it's excessive. Watch other diesel's as they accelerate to get a comparsion.

Plus it was magnified by the car's headlight's behind you.

My .02 Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I just want to make sure to get any issues resolved ASAP as they might be hurting the truck. I'm probably worrying a little too much.

Fitter48093: I am pretty sure I was at 190-200, but not positive. You can't see anything during the day because it is so slight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts