Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the New Mag there is alot of advertisement for the FS-2500 Bypass Filtration. What do you guys think of it?? Seems pretty good. Anyone using it??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess if your not in the Diesel Place Clique you dont get any responses!!!!! So much for trying to participate!!!:confused: I learn alot from you guys but the couple of questions I have had over the last several months dont get very much interest.

·
Banned
735 Posts
Maybe not alot of people use it.............hold your horses..... ;) Somebody usually gets to them even if it's a day or two later!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I saw the kit and it looked pretty cool. I dont know anything about oil bypass filters so its way over my head. If it works and isnt too expensive it seems like a nice thing to have but I am not sure.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I guess if your not in the Diesel Place Clique you dont get any responses!!!!! So much for trying to participate!!!:confused: I learn alot from you guys but the couple of questions I have had over the last several months dont get very much interest.
I didn't know there was a DP Clique.....does that cost extra? :eek:

I don't get that mag nor have I seen the product, sorry can't help you there.

Give your posts time for people to see them, the responses will come......not everyone responds to every thread, and I wouldn't even wanna try!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think that the kit would have to use oil pressure to pressurize the lines and the filter, also, wouldn't the filter need more pressure when it started to get dirty. How much oil pressure would you want to take off? That's just what I think it may be way off.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Harlyjim...Welcome to the group. There is a ton of great info here (including stuff researched independently here by a bunch of really skilled guys!). The best info I can give you is always use the search feature first, and don't piss everybody off on you're 8th post! ;) )

A lot of the guys are offline during the times of your posts (which were approx. 6am to 1pm), therefore a lot of the activity occurs in the evening!

As for these filters, I think you're on a good topic and we will probably see a lot more discussion on this. Amsoil (absolutely no connection to me except that I use a few of their products) introduced the EA air and oil filters recently (nanotechnology). I am using these currently.

The Ea series is superb as far as current standards go, but the EA oil filter is only 15 microns absolute. It fits on the stock filter head. They just introduced a filter similar to the one you bring up, in the 2 micron range, and needs a separate filter head installation (eabp series). Here is the link if the moderators allow it: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eabp.aspx

The logic of the 7 to 20+ micron particals in the oil causing the most engine wear makes sense to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if this concept takes off similar to how the secondary fuel filters did. I wouldn't be surprised if these filters are made at the same plant and labeled differently, actually...

I'll be waiting to hear what the real experts here say..... :exactly:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I installed one a couple of months ago. Will be sending in my first oil analysis in a few weeks. It seems to be well made and installation was easy. I had an Amsoil By-Pass filter at first but took it off because it made the oil pressure lower. The FS2500 does not do that.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Don't expect honey clean oil like in the pics. Bypass filtration is a darn good ide. I've run my kit on both of my trucks for quite some time now. The analysis (particle count) shows that it is doing well. The color will still get dark though...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Kennedy is right. Even filtering to 1 micron will not keep the oil from turning dark on a diesel, because soot particles can be submicronic in size. These particles hurt nothing at that size, so it doesn't matter. My Dmax oil hasn't darkened much because I use alot of propane, which really cleans up the combustion. I have used bypass filters for 25 years, and they do a great job that can be proven by oil analysis. To convince someone who hasn't used one before, Harvard Corporation recommends doing an oil analysis when you would normally change the oil, then put a filter on. Do another analysis when you would normally change the oil again, and compare the results. It will clean the oil, not just keep new oil clean. Let the oil analysis results tell you when to change oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about this one in particular but I run the Amsoil bypass filtration setup on my Powerstroke and it does help keep the oil cleaner longer and makes me feel better about stretching oil change intervals with the synthetic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply's. I may have jumped the gun a little on my reply. I REALLY appreciate all I learn on this forum!!!:D

Jim

·
Registered
412 Posts
Jim...Thanks for bringing this up. I just might have to give it a try....):h

·
Registered
412 Posts
I talked to one of the techs there and on the Duramax it mounts on the drivers side frame rail approximately under the drivers seat. The kit is customized for the Duramax and comes with one element and 2 pre-assembled hoses. (upgrade available to pre-assembled braided stainless steel hoses for $49.00) Additional elements are $22.00 and are changed at 10,000 mile intervals, at which time 1.5 quarts of oil is replaced. Most go 20-30k miles on an oil change depending on analysis, or you can just change the oil every 10k with the element.

Stock filter remains functional but only needs to be replaced once a year.

The system only filters part of the oil flow at a time, so pressure drop is not an issue even if filter is totally clogged. One hose fitting connects in place of the plug near the stock oil filter. The other end of that hose goes to the FS-2500 input. The other hose goes from the FS-2500 outlet to the drain plug hole. The supplied fitting replaces the drain plug.

The company seems top notch. I was transferred immediately to a tech who was very knowledgable. They said if there were any problems with parts or a hose was too short for a particuler installation, they would overnite replacements free of charge. Seems like a good group.

The only downside I can see is that the kit is $449.00. :eek: But, if you run synthetic oil and are able to run it 30k instead of 10k, it would pay for itself before too long. Also if the huge wear reductions claimed are even half true, that is a big benefit as well.

Maybe some of the vendors here could look into becoming a dealer for these and if some people were interested in a group buy we could get a little price break (?).....:cool: Hope this info helps......-Bret

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm using this setup now. The filtration down to 3 micron alone should convince someone to run a seperate filtration system! The instructions were all included. just double check your mounting holes!
Also went with Amsoil at the same time. A nice side note is that my truck is my MPG might have improved, at 4000 miles it started getting better by 1 or 2 MPG. Ready for the first oil change since install. Recommended to fully get all the old oil out. Truck also runs very quiet. I mean quiet, from startup to shut down. Get alot of questions if it's really a diesel? lol
I also got the braided lines. they were running a special, that if you mentioned the mag ad you got $100 or $110 off. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
I'm using this setup now. The filtration down to 3 micron alone should convince someone to run a seperate filtration system! The instructions were all included. just double check your mounting holes!
Also went with Amsoil at the same time. A nice side note is that my truck is my MPG might have improved, at 4000 miles it started getting better by 1 or 2 MPG. Ready for the first oil change since install. Recommended to fully get all the old oil out. Truck also runs very quiet. I mean quiet, from startup to shut down. Get alot of questions if it's really a diesel? lol
I also got the braided lines. they were running a special, that if you mentioned the mag ad you got $100 or $110 off. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
I planned on a $75 upgrade for this type of filtration with the oil cooler. I may have to raise the price. Especially since it will add a quiet stealth mode. :)

Mine will come with a james bond oil slick switch. This will solve many law enforcement problems. Paid announcement: "Save money on that radar detector, with my oil bypass filtration you can stop the cops and season your salad too."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts