Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just bought my first diesel. Picked up a 2004 Chevrolet Crew Cab, 4X4, loaded 16,700 miles $34,000.00 and just want to know if I need to watch anything like fuel type, where not to buy from etc, FYI: I live in so cal. I heard that most factory diesel engines are designed for a certain additive in the fuel that most diesel #2 doesn't have. A guy I spoke to a few weeks back said I need to get some additive? like a shot glass full to each tank and that will prevent the injectors from getting clogged. I pulled the car fax report and also a GM warranty report. All clear and no millage roll back indicated. No drive train problems what so ever. She runs well, 22 MPG on the hwy and prolly 20 pulling my little 25' toyhauler.

The other day my wife told me that the "SERVICE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE" light came on and the 2h light was off. Than after about an hour of driving, everything went back to normal? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere about diesel additves and which ones actually improved the fuel burn and which did not. It is very interesting. 2 Stroke oil actually performed better than most "diesel" additives. And its cheap.

As for the 4wd light, dunno. My last 4 was a jeep cj7. Two options. Drive it in 4wd for a distance, check for noises, vibrations, etc. Last option - take to stealer or 4wd mechanic and letem check it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Welcome

:welcome2:Fill out your signature so we all know what you have. That will help when asking questions.

Just start searching and reading! Lot's of good info on this site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It sounds like it is still under warranty. Let the dealer plug it in to the ODB code reader and see what comes up. Let warranty pay to find and fix the 4WD problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar issue on mine and the dealer said it was a sensor that was bad or cracked and he replaced it and everything was fine. It should be covered under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts