Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Here is the story. I purchased 2002 Duramax with 120,000 miles, completely stock. It seemed to run great, still does. MPG empty was 15-17mpg empty and 14mpg with 16' stock trailer with two horses.

I drove from St. Louis to Miami, FL and at about Atlanta. It started to shake at idle when stopped, like a Harley....but the engine sounded the same.

I also, started to notice that the hot oil pressure started to go from a little over 40psi at 2000rpm, down 5psi every 20 minutes or so. The more I drove the more the pressure dropped, to the point that it would had 20psi at 2000rpm and 15psi at idle. I of course stopped the truck checked the oil level, checked for leaks......... nothing abnormal, or so I thought.

I put about 600 miles on it since I noticed this problem (It was getting about 10-11 miles per gallon for this last tank). Last night I figured out what it was, when, I noticed oil/diesel all over the underside and back of the truck. I drained about 19quarts of oil/diesel out of the pain, NOT GOOD. The oil/diesel was/is leaking out of the front of the oil pan (or so it appears). I assume it is the "injector problem".

I changed the oil and stopped driving it. I am going to find a Fort Lauderdale GM dealer and take it in tomorrow morning.

What should I do?

What or how much permanent damage was done?....19ish quarts of diesel pickeling the engine, can't be good, it never got hot.

I know the injectors are covered until 200k but what about the damage to the bearings, is this covered?

The truck still drives great, never noticed any loss of power or hard starting, no idiot lights came on,,,,, nothing. Is the engine ruined?

Thanks in advance for the advice or help.

Sam

·
Registered
288 Posts
Although this has not happened to me, I understand it does not seem to hurt these motors when this happens. Some one with more smarts than me will chime in here I'm sure.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Stop driving the truck regularly, for one. Continuing to drive it with diesel in the oil will kill it.

Then get it to a good dealer service dept for injector replacement.

Sorry to hear it happened, but at least the injectors are covered.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome to the "Ive had my injectors replaced" club. I wish you were still near atlanta. I have 4 sets of injectors on the shelf and a diesel tech thats not too busy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We had a 01 dmax that did the same thing this year at 150-160,000 miles or so, but GM covered everything on it, including labor! Truck is at 180,000 ish now and has been fine. GOOD LUCK!!!

J-HEFF

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the posts, guys.

I took it in to the MAROONE CHEVROLET OF FORT LAUDERDALE this morning and by 2 pm the tech showed me the eight old ones that he took out.

I was very, very happy.

He said that while no one recommends running the engine with diesel in the oil, he said very little damage probably occurred and to not worry about it.

I thank them very, very much. I was afeared they were going to just replace one or two and that I'd have to do this all over again. They replaced the oil and fuel filter and of course the 8 injectors at no cost to myself.

Sam

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Glad it went well for you!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yep, that's what the warranty will do for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
same thing happend to me! i noticed low oil pressure and the message center even said low oil pressure. i got out and it was leaking oil all undernieth out of what looked like an overflow. i figured it was the injectors sticking open, i took it to my mechanic and he said the same thing. but he said before anything is done on it go get the oil changed and see if the same problem happes. That was like 2500 miles ago and no problems. no overflow, no bad mileage---weird! mabe the oil change place put to much in it? dont know but is there really a warranty up to 200k just in case this does happen? and also i just installed banks so if i were to take it in to redeem this warranty im guessing i would have to take all my mods off, right?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
GM has extended the warranty for the injectors, on the LB7's. Also if you present your problem to GM customer assistance, they will usually work with you. As far as your mods go, your warranty is only as good as your dealer. We have not had any problems at our shop with warranty work and mods.

Riley

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went in at noon the next day because they said it would be done, and the assistant manager said that he had to order new heads for the engine something about the studs pulling out (anybody heard of this before, I think he said, it was the injector studs).

Again, I was afeared as to what this was going to cost me, and darn the luck, again he informed me that this was all going to happen at no cost to myself (I didn't argue with him. I just went with the flow, LOL).

I have to leave the truck in the shop for a couple more days, but at this rate, if they keep the truck for a month everything will be replaced for free, LOL.

8 new injectors
2 new heads
oil change
fuel filter change
some new hoses

As per, the wonderful, mechanic doing the work and the assistant manager, this is all free, and I have asked them many, many times if they were joking with me (NO).

Again, the truck is a 2002 Chevy 4X4, Allison with 125,XXX miles on it, completely stock. It started, sounded and drove great before, I am interested to see what it does afterwards.

Obviously I'm quite thrilled with their customer service, and I don't even live within 1,200 miles of this dealership, LOL.

Sam

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One question I had was concerning the fact that the diesel/oil mix was leaking out of the motor.

Does anyone think this will be a cause for future oil leaks on this motor and should I have it "resealed" -- put new gaskets and such in it?

Has anyone had this problem and then when it was fixed, the motor stopped leaking oil?

Thanks for the help,

Sam

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
It wasn't really leaking. It was being pushed out the crank case breather.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Messy isn't it? I think you will find that you thought it ran great before but will be even more happy with it after you have new injectors. I bought the same truck you did with the same amount of miles. This is why we buy chevy's!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Only 01's and 02's have the extended warranty on injectors.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It is an o2 but was told no warrent by the dealership
Sorry, my post was in response to

GM has extended the warranty for the injectors, on the LB7's. Also if you present your problem to GM customer assistance, they will usually work with you. As far as your mods go, your warranty is only as good as your dealer. We have not had any problems at our shop with warranty work and mods.

Riley
There is a TSB about the extended warrenty, you might want to bring it into your dealer. It is a GM directive.

·
Registered
617 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts