Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Jim welcome to the site, yes we have an idea, 0 gas mileage truck stops with gas in the mix, :D :D :D

We can provide some mpg info but need to know more about your truck to better advise you, go to FAQ & welcome notes in my signature so you can update yours, and after that we can help you better

·
Registered
912 Posts
My 99 Crew Cab shortbed K2500 with 4.10 rear end gets close to 17 not towing and about 10-13 towing 7000 lbs. We have a campground we go to that is at 6000 feet and we live at sea level so going it is almost all uphill and that's when I get about 10. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i had seen this talked about in another thread but could not remember what one, but how much does tire size affect fuel milege? i don't keep accurate account of my milege, but i know one freeway trip over a year ago, i got 18 mpg. i have recently paid more attention since a major drop in mpg (thinking it was related to faulty lift pump and/or thermo, but have only run one full tank since they were fixed). i figured it to be around 15mpg though, :( i do have 285 tires now which were previously 245's, i think. any help?
on another note, where to look to find gear ratio?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 1999 3500 pulling a load 10 miles per gal and driving 60 mph or 2000 rpm
no load 13 to 14 with 4.10 rear end.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
[
on another note, where to look to find gear ratio?[/quote]

look in your glove box for rpo codes theres a link to them in the FAQ's

·
Registered
64 Posts
With the truck in my sig I run ~16MPG in mixed driving, unloaded, with a light foot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Same here.. truck in sig, 16 MPG today on winter diesel and light foot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine got 13.3 on the hwy...but looking to replace the temp sensor and take the cat out to maybe improve that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I pretty much average 13.5 empty with a pretty light foot. This is rural type driving with some mixed stop and go driving in town. I figured that was normal for a dually. But am thinking I am going to try a new thermo also and see if that improves mpg. Am almost positive everything on mine is stock in regards to sensors and such.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
My origanal chip got an average of 14-15.5 MPG mixed driving, my revised updated GM chip gets around 16-17 MPG mixed driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My '97 2500 Suburban 6.5td with 4.10's (4x4) gets about 16 - 17 average (non-towing). A little better (20) on the highway, a little worse (13 - 14) around town.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Okay, now these numbers that I see in this thread make me feel much much better about my truck. I read a different post a few months ago and most people were talking about how they were getting 18-24mpg! I felt sick at the 13-14 I had been getting, but now I see that most figures in this thread are right there where my numbers are at also. !!WHEW!!
I was getting just below 15 back in the summer, but now I am getting a little over 13. Last tank I believe was like 13.05mpg. No mods, 100% stock cept for a heavy flatbed that has to be costing me a mpg or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drove from Orlando to New Orleans last week and got a steady 15 mpg, at or below the speed limit, not towing, carrying nothing but the camper shell. I'll be looking into alternative fuel options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the last trip averaging 83 mph I got 17.96. It seems to run better at that speed and rpm. On short trips to and from work and also on the job. I have been getting 14.9 this winter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have been averaging 14.5mpg in my truck in sig. That is about 80% Freeway driving with a light foot. I have 285s (I calculate in the difference in size) a lumber rack, and carry about 1000 lbs of stuff in the bed for work every day. this is on winter fuel so hopefully that # will go up come summer time):h

1 - 19 of 19 Posts