Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my new truck(1,086 miles) has a really strong diesel smell.Burn your eye's type of fumes.I also noticed a slight delay in respose if you stab it.Computer not set correct?Anybody have any ideal what's going on?Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey,

You talkin about the semi? LOL LOL A guy, eight houses down the street has an 02 LB7 and in the morning we can smell the fumes from his truck fast idling, IN THE KITCHEN! Nothing appears to be wrong, and THE TRUCK IS STOCK! I to am curious, because if the LBZ's stink as bad as that, I might have to go gas. I work with disabled children, and that strong a fume, coming from my truck could be a real safety issue for some of the medically fragile ones. Seriously, what's up?! John K, Eric, you guys know!? Thanks.

James

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know in elevated idle mode the truck does something with the turbo vains to put more load on the engine and make it warm up quicker. My '06 LLY even with regular idle on cold mornings smells pretty strong until it's been running for 1-3 minutes.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You don't want to be anywhere near it in high idle mode, its awful! Once its warm and idleing normal its ok. I sat ideling in the truck for 10 min after a 45 min drive waiting for someone and I shut it off because the fumes were starting to come into the cab after 10 min or so.

Loading and unloaded from the truck I shut it off. If these trucks have Cats, I can't even imagine what happens when you take the cat off!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
My neighbors complained about the smell also. I now park on the street to warm it up. And I dont have a cat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey,

Well, that is reasuring that other trucks do this as well. Heres the kicker though. Another neighbor has a 94 Dodge, straight-piped, about five houses down the other way, and his doesn't stink. WHY!!!???? Don't worry, I won't stray to the dark side. His truck is to loud. I was so annoyed by how loud that damn thing is one day, I actually stuck a big potato up his pipe, and unfortunately it only took him an hour to figure it out. Not the first time though. Other neighbors have been much more nasty. Anyway, thanks for this.

James

·
Registered
174 Posts
smelled fumes at traffic light twice, thought possible leak, but was very windy that day, must have been blowing under truck. also can smell at idle, but only outside of truck.
smell not just dmax, had 04 ford, always made your eyes water when standing near the back, daily driver, work truck 05 f-450 is the same way, will make eyes water if near truck when at idle. i believe it is the way fuel is burned in combustion chamber, some newer industrial engines are the same way, especially direct injected engines.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've noticed my new truck(1,086 miles) has a really strong diesel smell.Burn your eye's type of fumes.[I also noticed a slight delay in respose if you stab it].Computer not set correct?Anybody have any ideal what's going on?Thanks
try rolling into the throttle, you are feeling turbo lag and trans lag. turbo has to come up to speed or spool up and trans is trying to decide what gaer to use, takes a couple of seconds for all this to happen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone.It's good to know I'm just a smelly duramax owner.:ro)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Turbo Lag. It's a fact of life.

I have read about a lot of guys concerned about the hesitation when flooring it. If you flat out stomp it in most cases 2 things are happening. The trans is downshifting 2-3 gears (which takes much more time than just one gear) and there is turbo lag. With ANY turbo motor there is some if not a lot of LAG. So, with a turbo motor it is allways best to "plan ahead". You will be much happier. If I am on the freeway and I want to grab a lane or whatever, I start rolling on the throttle ahead of time and then I let the boost build and use the torque move me down the road. I almost NEVER mash the accelerator enough to cause a downshift. The truck will stay in 6th even if you go to about 2/3 throttle and as long as you open the throttle slowly to that point. It works. Try it...................Also if the RPM's are up higher there is almost no turbo lag. So if you know you want to nail someone at lower speeds you can use the manual mode to hold the gears. Say you go from a light in manual mode and shift to second and are accelerating normally and are at 2000 RPM or above, if you nail it then it will scoot with surprising response!!! Another example of "planning ahead". Whether it be passing on a 2 lane highway or putting the moves on some Geezer that has been dogging you at a multiple lane Traffic Signal ! ! ! BOTH VERY SATISFYING ! ! !

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I cannot speak about the LBZ in specific.....:

Ive got a VW TDI, its got a cat on it....it smells really strong on cold start up. Nothing is wrong, done that since say one....

Truck, on the other hand, has NO cat...came that way from the factory. I can say that the TDI smells worse, no doubt. TDI smells a lot better once warmed up, though.

However, if you want to get rid of the smell.......add biodiesel. Truck running on B20 even makes a significant difference. B80 makes me really hungry when I smell it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put some " in town" diesel in my truck last week for the first time since I bought it. That fuel does smell different than the soydiesel I have in my bulk tank. I grew up smelling diesel exhaust fumes from off road equipment and always thought it smelled sweet compared to gas exhaust fumes. The B5 soydiesel has a bit of french fry smell to it and B20 is better yet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Part of the lag is the de-fueling process. This is to relieve the torque of the down shift from the LBZ. Throttle up slowly and she will speed right up.
Happy truckin :D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
its probably the fuel. I got fuel at a truck stop on interstate 5 once and it burned my eyes. its the higher sulfer content in the fuel. mine hasnt been that bad since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure you check the trans fluid level. Mine was 1 1/2 quarts low,(no leaks).
I had my computer updated to fix the hesitation it seemed to help before I put the Power Pup on and it was back,although not as bad as original.
@ 5000miles Changed engine oil/filter, fuel filter, and tranny filter. Checked tranny level and bam it was 1 1/2 quarts low. Added the fluid and it actually shifts/downshifts good even in performance mode. Like an idiot I had trusted the dealer to check the fluid levels and Just kept an eye out for leaks. My thinking was flawed.
I took for granted that someone who actually gave a sh*t did the PDI.:chevy: :rocking: :chevy:

·
Registered
62 Posts
My Express is stinky and very smokey! On top of that, tonight, I parked the beast and smoke was rolling out from the center section of the vehicle.

Seems that the program for the diesel heater lets that heater run after shut-down. Even the heater stinks and smokes! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I put some " in town" diesel in my truck last week for the first time since I bought it. That fuel does smell different than the soydiesel I have in my bulk tank. I grew up smelling diesel exhaust fumes from off road equipment and always thought it smelled sweet compared to gas exhaust fumes. The B5 soydiesel has a bit of french fry smell to it and B20 is better yet.
Did you do any mods before running the B5? The B20? When you tank up with #2 on occasion, have any probs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts