Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use any modifier or conditioner for the winter months, if so what kind?

Sean

·
Registered
410 Posts
power service works well for me in my ford tractor and the truck. managed to get a case of aviex (crc) wholesale. am beginning to run this in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use DIESELMOTIVE by Chevron........................Steve...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use Primrose 409 for winter operation in that it:
1. Lowers the pour point 30 degrees
2. Provides protection against water freezing in the lines as it is an emulsifying additive..
3. Provides 5+ cetane boost
4. Provides corrosion protection
5. Provides lubricity enhancement for the pump, injectors
6. Provides detergency to keep the injectors and system clean and in top operating condition
7. Provides bacteriastatic protection against microbes
8. Makes my Duramax run and start better!!
9. Is inexpensive at 2 ounces per tankful!!
George Morrison
Which is why AV Lubricants sells it!! :)Edited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to order some of the Primrose 409.

Sean

·
Registered
693 Posts
There is a GM bulletin that states not to use anything with alcohol in it - the power service doesn't state that it doesn't contain alcohol.

Same bulletin says to avoid additives that contain emulsifiers (disperses water instead of making it easier for water to be trapped in water catch). From memory the power service contains an emulsifier. The CRC product that I saw at the local auto store uses a demulsifier (which GM recommends) and also states it contains no alcohol.

I have been looking around for either Racor or Stanadyne products, GM recommends these as suppliers -> can't find them anywhere locally and need to order some mail order.

FWIW - The primrose products use an emulsifier, which GM says to avoid.

jeff

Edited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dmax lover..nice post..I will use the crc for my truck and use up the power service for my tractor as i have been using successfully in the past. Thanks for summing things up

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks - I am a relatively new owner of a 2003 duramax 2500 HD LS X cab and trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can...

I am figuring out that the theme of a duramax truck should be "life at 20,000 psi" - the pressure of the fuel injection system . Things are different from your older diesel...

Things corrode faster at 20,000 psi so be sure to avoid alcohol or else your fuel rails will be spewing oil at a young age; Water does nasty things at 20,000 psi too - like gouging fuel injectors and doing nasty stuff when it changes state (water to steam); And at 20,000 psi water doesn't lubricate, it cuts and it cuts very deep.

jeff

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Dmax, when you find site that sells the recomended fuel additives please let us know. Thank you for your research.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use FPPF Total Power. Get 12 one quart bottles in a case for $68.04. Each bottle treats 250 gallons. Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
693 Posts
www.usdieselparts.com - they carry stanadyne and racor products. These are okay according to GM. Seems like "stanadyne performance formula" appears to be the favorite.

jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maverick said:
I use FPPF Total Power. Get 12 one quart bottles in a case for $64.08. Each bottle treats 250 gallons.

Would like to know your source for the FPPF Total Power case price of $64.08?? I need to buy a case.

·
Registered
540 Posts
dmax lover said:
www.usdieselparts.com - they carry stanadyne and racor products. These are okay according to GM. Seems like "stanadyne performance formula" appears to be the favorite.

jeff

Do a little search here on fuel additive posts. Standyne might be GM's choice, doesn't mean it's the best or even any good at all. The 2 have had a long relationship and therefore I question the "recomended status". I wrote to Standyne and asked some questions. The answers were pure marketing BS. BTW, Standyne has nothing in the product to deal with water. Seems to me others concentrate on handling water in the fuel and Standyne just ignores it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Stanadyne only sells through diesel injector shops. I can get it locally but it's expensive. I can get it for 1/2 the price through mail order.

For Stanadyne try:

http://www.dieselpage.com/additive.htm

This place also has a lot of other nice "toys" for our trucks. Guages, exhaust, etc.

I am using the Stanadyne. I wish more places would sell it. I know there is an extreme debate over emulsifier or demulsifier. It's a tough decision. I don't think you will ever get the parties to agree. Each party has very good reasons for their position.

I wish some of the supporters of this site would sell both types and just let the consumer decide which one. Then I would be able to do one stop shopping for the additive, filters, etc.

I am not complaining... don't flame me
. It's just a thought to make getting and selling a product easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding the excellent comment of site supporters selling both types. I (www.avlube.com) cannot/will not have anything available on our web site that I feel may cause/create problems for end users. I could write a book of horror stories on folks whose warranties have been denied due to fuel system corrosion issues. I can only be with products that I know and use in our Duramax/6.5TD's.. I am sorry, your suggestion for supporters to carry both emulsifying and emulsifying fuel additives is an excellent one, but I feel very strongly on this issue...

George Morrison

·
Registered
693 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
Do a little search here on fuel additive posts. Standyne might be GM's choice, doesn't mean it's the best or even any good at all. The 2 have had a long relationship and therefore I question the "recomended status". I wrote to Standyne and asked some questions. The answers were pure marketing BS. BTW, Standyne has nothing in the product to deal with water. Seems to me others concentrate on handling water in the fuel and Standyne just ignores it.

1. I would agree that stanadyne's marketing is full of it - doesn't mean the product is bad. For me, it makes me lean towards racor products - but they are not as readily available.

2. You statement that "Stanadyne has nothing in the product to deal with water" is incorrect. It has a demulsifier. The GM bulletin clearly states that water must not reach the fuel system (injectors). I read into this that it shouldn't reach the injectors in suspension (through the use of an emulsifier). Being an engineer, I surmise that at 23000 psi the water doesn't lubricate and it acts as a cutting agent. I also read elsewhere that when the water changes state (from water to steam) it can damage the tip of the injector.

Along the lines of having choices from different suppliers - I wish that the suppliers who recommend other products here (kennedy and avlube) would pressure the other vendors (primrose, etc.) into offering a version of the products with a demulsifier.

jeff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding pressuring vendors to make a demulsifying addtive; I am afraid we will be seeing three guys riding camels from the East before Primrose and FPPF would produce a demulsifying addtive for vehicle use. Primrose DOES manufacture a demusifying addtive for commercial use in large tanks. As we have discussed in previous posts, it IS advantageous to promote free water settle out, especially in large storage tanks. These tanks are equipped with bottom water drains and some (very few, however)suppliers use the additive to accelerate free water settle.
Primrose's view is that once diesel fuel is put into a dynamic, vibrating fuel system, water will go into loose emulsion and must be locked into emulsion chemically. Their view is unchangeable.....
George Morrison

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seems pretty cut and dried to me. If GM recommends against an emulsifier, then I'm not going to use it. I'm sure Primrose will not pick up my warranty if GM drops it.

73, Hans/MN

·
Registered
394 Posts
Again, my point is exactly that.. There are currently 2 6.5TD's and one Duramax sitting out behind one of our local Chevy dealers in that fuel system warranty has been denied. In all three cases visible corrosion was present in their fuel systems. In each case, service is recommending replacement of the complete fuel system.
The owners must foot the complete bill. They followed GM's recommendation to not use a fuel additive..
George Morrison

1 - 20 of 32 Posts