Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem earlier this summer with a load of bad Diesel fuel. So,I have been looking more closely at what I am buying. The problem is that there is almost no information on the fuel I am putting in my tank. I got the bad fuel at a small out of the way station so I only buy at large truck stops now. Most of the large truck stops either don't have the cetane listed or the listed cetane is 40. I don't know what my Duramax requires but I'm pretty sure it should be around 50. I have been told Flying J is a good fuel stop. Drove back almost 30 miles so I could fuel up at a Flying J. Cetane rating listed right on the pump is 40. I fueled up later the same day on the PA turnpike. No Cetane listing on the pump and the attendants had never heard the word Cetane before when I asked.

I bought some Stanadyne Performance additive just in case I got bad fuel again. My truck was running well but, I put some in my tank just to see if would do anything. I didn't know my diesel could run so quiet. The reduction in noise and the increase in power was dramatic. I'm not selling Stanadye but it is obvious that the fuel I have been buying is sub standard. How do you know where to buy fuel if no one lists or knows what they are selling. I think there is a law the requires stations to put octane rating on pumps for gasoline. Isn't there a law that requires the same for diesel fuel? Comments and observations appreciated.

Phil Burlbaugh - Delmont, PA - 2002 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab SB - 2001 Cougar 278efs - Transfer Flow 45 gal replacement tank

·
Registered
448 Posts
Phil,

I treat every load of fuel, because as you have found out most of it is substandard, so I just assume it all is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Federal mininimum standard for Cetane is 40.. That is all one can count on getting these days. "Premium" fuel has standards but a fuel could be labeled premium by meeting other requirements for premium. I echo the sentiments regarding the regular use of a high quality addtive containing cetane enhancement. And yes, depending on the initial fuel quality level, the performance differences can be dramatic..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
how high would be considered to high or just wasting additive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up Cetane on Google. According to one thing I read it said that cetane ran from 40 to 55 but anything over 50 is probably wasteful. Also most cars have a requirement of 50.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So how much FPPF Cetane Boost and Total Power per 26 gallon tank to get a 50 cetane rating assuming the fuel we are buying is at 40?

·
Registered
394 Posts
1.5 ounces of Primrose Power-master 405 will raise most diesel fuel 5 points in our 26 gallon tank. Over-treating may yield 6 point increase but that is about the limit of increase. Moreover, any treatment over the recommended is not cost effective; not harmful, just wasting product and money. The amount of effective cetane increase is dependent on fuel base quality. i.e. a 40 cetane would benefit the full 5 to 6 point cetane increase. However, my BP Supreme starting out at a 49 only yields 3 cetane index increase, maybe. And yes, anything over 50 cetane is of little/no value. There is no additive I am familiar with capable of increasing a 40 cetane fuel to a 50 cetane fuel.. As long as we can optimize our cetane level in the 45 to 50 range, we will experience maximum efficiency from our Duramax engine. There is only so much cetane improvement achievable via fuel additization.
George Morrison, STLE CLSEdited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thank you George for another very informative answer.

I've learned alot reading your posts.

Blake

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have no ideal about the cetane content of the fuel we purchase locally. I can understand the need to run a fuel conditioner to help deal with moisture but can't help but wonder if running a cetane booster during everyday, nontowing, driving is worthwhile? I can see a definite advantage in such an addition when towing. ... Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
In our area (northwestern PA) the diesel at the truck stops like Pilot, T/A, etc is 40-41 at best. I talked to a distributor who supplies fuel to the Shell and BP stations in our area and the distributor adds their own additive to boost the cetane numbers. Shell and BP premium sold at those stations is 44-45 cetane. I've never seen any stations that offered higher numbers.

I've been using FPPF Total Power for a long time now, just as a water dispersant and add 1 oz to every 5 gal. when I fuel up. I do the same with either FPPF 8+ or Power Service Cetane boost at 1 oz. per 5 gal.

I don't know that any of them make any difference that I can tell by fuel mileage or seat of the pants, but it makes me feel better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts