INFORMATION
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking

Models:
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2003 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2001-2003 GMC Sierra
2003 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series
with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VIN 1 - RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to update the models information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022 (Section 06 - Engine/propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax(TM) diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax(TM) engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past.

Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine sounds like a valve ticking or a lifter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 2001 8.1 gasser that ticks, and a 2002 caddy dhs northstar, that ticks,

but my 6.5 diesel doesn't, 178,000 miles. go figure

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine has that weird ticking sound - I didn't have the tick on my '03 but my '04 has it and it's really weird...

it's almost like something is wrong with the motor or there's something ticking around... anyhow...

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine ticks quite a bit, and I'm trying to relate it to low oil pressure while idling, when engine is at full temperature. Anyone with a tick, what do you run for oil pressure when idling hot? How many miles on your truck?

·
Registered
152 Posts
My truck has like 3800 miles on it and had it's first oil change and still ticks. Oil Pressure is like 40-60lbs at idle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Give your new oil about 2000 miles. Mine stopped after that. Doesn't make much sense

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll see what happens in 2K miles then. I wonder if synthetic makes a difference??? I plan on changing all the oils over to that

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer tore my truck apart to find it. Dropped the tranny ect... Then notified me about this bullitin. Not a happy camper at the time.

On the Good side --The noise did go away!

14000 miles just had 4 injectors replaced. Thats another story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a ticking noise in my '95 C3500 6.5l Turbodiesel with only 49,000 miles. I just posted in the 6.5l forum before I found this one. Mine just started about a thousand miles ago and sounds like a valve train noise. It appears to be coming from the right rear cylinder closest to the firewall. Am I to believe everything is "O.K."????? That's a hard one to swallow!! Chuck

·
Registered
663 Posts
Worksmart said:
I have a ticking noise in my '95 C3500 6.5l Turbodiesel with only 49,000 miles.. Mine just started about a thousand miles ago and sounds like a valve train noise. It appears to be coming from the right rear cylinder closest to the firewall...

Chuck,

Check to make sure you injector lines are not touching any other parts. On the 6.5 an injector line "touching" can cause the type of noise you describe.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My '02 did it for the first 8-10k miles, then it quit completely. It started back at about 19k miles...

20k now and it's still tickin' away.

Kevin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine still does it, I just ignore it now but it sure drove me crazy at first. My dealer didn't know what it was either, but I found out about the problem online at the RV.NET site.

Never told the dealer I guess I should so they will be informed when the next person comes in with the same problem.

Thanks for the detailed explaination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill(jpblock)

You got it!!
Aluminum coolant line touching injector line. It was probably bent during FI pump replacement. I tweaked it and I'm back in business...no more "funny" noise. Thanks, ChuckEdited by: Worksmart

·
Registered
37 Posts
I heard this last night when i was at a drive thru window and got worried so when i read what you guys and GM was saying it makes me feel better.

Just think if we didn't have place like this, what would the dealers do to our trucks trying to find these noises.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I only have 400 miles on my truck, however there is a goofy ticking noise at about 1500 rpm. After that, the turbo winds up and you don't hear it until you shift and get around 1500 again. Makes a guy scratch his head a bit, but I have to wonder if the tick will go away with break in time, or is it an omen of things to come.....Until it grenades, I'll ignore it...The turbo is more fun to listen to anyway..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine makes the same noise too, usually when the engine is warm though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same ticking noise in my 01 D/A untill I added Primrose 405 and it went away after 15 or 20 miles.

I'm a happy camper now!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts