Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
76000 miles and shes in the shop!

Went in limp mode at 70mph. Pull over to find diesel in the oil. No oil pressure! Decide no to drive it because of lack of oil pressure and engine filled with diesel and no oil.

Towed to the dealer 100 miles.

Just came from the dealer last week 500 miles ago for oil change and fuel filter replace.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Grady. I hope it simply gets fixed and you can put it behind you.

Glad you all made it home safe. What's up with the plow? Which one did you get?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
All will be fine ..... I know what it's like to be down ,in front of a crowd even ....

Get'ter fixed up and let us know what happened .... Lose of fuel rail pressure makes for a power down scenario, I doubt you would have gotten far .... With a crankcase full of fuel , Best to tow ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the positive notes guys....I'll keep you posted.

DAY 1 in the shop;

So far the computer says " massive fuel pressure leak". The mechanic has the head torn off of one side and is working hard on troubleshooting. He says maybe a bad injector.

The vplow is still in the back seat. Install will begin tomorrow.

FISHER EZ V PlOW 8'6" pictures to follow.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
He must have takin the Valve cover off ....

Any hoo keep us informed Grady ....

Thank goodness foer warranty ....

Mac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, the DMax has 28 sealing areas (that I can think of) under the valve covers that could possibly leak raw fuel into the crankcase.

I hope they get ya fixed up nice and quick.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAY 2 UPDATE!

Truck is fixed.

Turns out 3 return lines were bad.

Hoot you were right thanks for your help.

Thanks for the support guys.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Great!

Anybody know what exactly happens to the return lines? Do the develop cracks from head movement or simply from vibration, at the joints?

My common sense tells me redesign the part or change manufacturing processes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do we have this to look forward to???

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 3 Update!

Picked the truck up today.

NO CHARGE.

Even paid for towing!

Runs like a raped ape!

OIL PRESSURE back to normal.

Still stinks like diesel fuel.

At least she won't rust underneath because the whole underneath of truck is covered in fuel from when she broke down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gradyghost, Im curious as well is the replacement line different than the o.e. can you keep us updated..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DAY 8 UPDATE

Lost oil pressure.

Diesel fuel everywhere, underhood, under truck , on the ground etc.

Rough idle.

No power.

Coolant resevoir empty.

Dealer won't pay for the retow.

Roadside won't pay for the retow.

Dead diesel in the driveway, with no where to go!

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Gradyghost said:
DAY 8 UPDATE

Lost oil pressure.

Diesel fuel everywhere, underhood, under truck , on the ground etc.

Rough idle.

No power.

Coolant resevoir empty.

Dealer won't pay for the retow.

Roadside won't pay for the retow.

Dead diesel in the driveway, with no where to go!

Call your lawyer.........................

Tell them it's under warranty for the engine till 100K miles.

They just worked on it so I would be playing real hard ball now..........

Call the Attorney General, warranty fraud..........

Do we have a lawyer here to advise ?????

What a way to keep a customer, GM has thier head up thier A$$ !!!!!

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
490 Posts
Weird that they would have all those problems with return lines. Never seen a diesel with leaking external return lines, except when they were damaged by external forces.

Grady, sounds like they let go again!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Oh Boy

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
No way ......

First off you have the exact same symptoms of the first repair ..... Look on your repair order, what do they warranty "their" repair for ??? Not to mention your under the GM 100,000 .....
Don't call a lawyer call them back and explain it to the service manager or ask for the owner of the dealership first .....

Explain calmly what happened 8 days ago you were happy with the outcome but the problem has returned with a vengeance ... It is under certainly, your dealerships current warranty repair as stated right on the repair order here in front of me ..... Could be as simple as something left lose unintentionally by the mechanic ....

What can WE do to rectify this ASAP ??

Mac

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Why won't the dealer tow?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not in a good mood. Gm loyal since I was sixteen. First warranty repair I have gone in for in 20 years. Now Roadside assistance says I am out of warranty and they won't tow. Dealers wrecker is broke down. Just paid 250 bones for tow last week(still waiting for refund). Now I gotta pay to tow it again. Customer service says its outta there hands. Spent last 4 hours argueing with roadside assistance about warranty.

argh...

Damn driveway is covered in fuel and oil. Dunno if its still leaking or just from when I got home.

If it is still leaking its got 30 gallons to go because I just filled it up.

how much hp and tq does the dodge have?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gradyghost, if I was you, I would have it towed to a different dealer and tell them the WHOLE story. They will get ahold of the dealer that did the previous "repair" and then look into the problem with an idea of what to look for.....look over the previous repair for problems, look into other possibilities and do fuel system testing starting at step 1.

They will look at it as a "anything goes" situation, as the previous dealer might look at it as "no, that CAN'T be it because I checked it last time" kind of adittude.

It is very unfortunate that there are dealerships that have such troubles diagnosing the DMax, but in all fairness, it is a realitively new engine to GM techs and a very different desighn from the old 6.5 diesel that GM used.

I have a feeling that within a year at most, dealer techs will become alot more aware of the real world, common engine problems that the DMax may cough up.

Also, keep in mind that about 90% of vehicles that come to a dealership are gas engines. Personal vehicles that run on diesel only make up about 10% of the personal vehicles on the road today....So it will take a little longer for the techs to learn their symptoms and diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts