Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting to the point:
1. Is GM putting a Diesel in the Suburbans?
2. If not, is the F**d Excursion with the 6.0 a decent vehicle?

Long Version:
Im retiring from the military soon and my wifes parents are probably moving out of our other house we are going to sell this summer and move in with us (we got plenty of room in this one). On top of that, her mom doesnt drive and her dad is pushing 80 and not going to be driving too much longer.

In a nutshell, I need 7 seats and cargo room. I am certain I want to keep a diesel, but it looks like the F**D Excursion with a 6.0 is about the only thing fitting the bill.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts (including ones questioning my sanity
)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went through 2 6.0's (rear main seals, computer, numerous reflashes)in 4 months and now have a D/A. If you want to take a chance with the 6.0, I hope you have better luck then me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A dude in my office also has an Excursion with the 6.0 and it is in the Ford shop as I type with 38K. Took 4 days to figure out the computer was bad and now they are trouble shooting injectors. I think it is under warranty but the cost is $800 and climbing.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Its going on two years and the so called great Ford 6.0 is still a lemon, I waited two years for them to fix their oil leaks and poor fuel mileage on there unreliable 6.0 engine, and there still churning out lemons, hell some guys have had 3 trucks bought back, while others are going threw one so called re-flash fix all after another, leaving them getting 10 to 15 mpg when they were getting 19 and 21mpg, me I'm not taking a chance, even though I can buy one under dealer cost using my plan, play it safe like me, buy a GM with the Duramax/Allison.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I know several people who went to the Excursion from Suburbans. Even before the infamous 6.0 was out.

They are all back in Suburbans now, several would like a diesel, but took gas to get the vehicle.

Our Fire Department usually buys F**d vehicles for the staff through a State contract because they are cheaper. We've had one 6.0 driven by a Battalion Chief for about a year now. We just got a new pickup for another Battalion Chief about two weeks ago. It's a Silverado.... The first GM product in the place since the '89 Suburban for a Battalion Chief, which is still used as a reserve vehicle.....

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Consider a used Excursion with a 7.3 in it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If they won't give one from the factory.....buy the 2500 sub, and retrofit! What a fun project that would be.

The only thing we can all hope for is that the new ones when they come out will have something that doesn't use spark plugs.

MN

·
Registered
509 Posts
My dealer told me there are plans for a diesel Suburban again. He did not know when we would see it though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, someone already made his own late model d-max sub. Bought a 200X frame, chassis, engine, tranny, yada yada yada, and put it all together. I think he only had about $25G into it. He got most of the parts from salvage yards. He had to lift the body (only about 2 inches) so the ally would fit.

The finished product looked very nice....

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just something about the Fords I dont like. Drove a 2002 Excursion this AM and it seemed to wander a lot, though I read they improved that in '03.

I think I will hold on til they announce the '05 Burbs and see if a magical motor appears.

Thanks for all your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts