Diesel Place banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

· Registered
1,223 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 · (Edited)
The car has been stored for the last year while I've been working on other projects. Bought a couple of rental houses in New Mexico which sucked up months of my car project time. They are done and rented now and the wife and I are on a long well deserved vacation. At the moment I'm posting from Sydney Australia

I'll be back home in April and one priority will be to get the Vette ready for paint. There's still a few details to wrap up but not all that much.

· Registered
205 Posts
Just read through the posts and you do awesome work! Looking forward to seeing a video of the finished project after paint.

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Just read through the posts and you do awesome work! Looking forward to seeing a video of the finished project after paint.
Thanks! I expect to get some more time into it this summer.

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
Lately my shop time has been dedicated to this other Frankenstein project...
--> SS-10

Reactions: OkDually

· Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
1,785 Posts
What a cool project!
Great work and engineering/design. A+

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I signed up here to say enough vacations, Corvette time! After the SS-10 though..
Right on! Yeah, mostly it just needs paint and a few small details finished up. Mad Max says he wants to come down and paint it for me. I certainly won't hold him to that but if it happens that will be a fun time.

However, vacations still take TOP priority!

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
After a long break I'm back on this project. Time to get it ready for paint. First thing is to fix the dog chew damage on both front fenders.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,260 Posts
I've wondered about this project many a time. Have you still been driving it? Still good mileage?

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I've driven it a little. Mostly it's been in storage while I've been building other projects.
It gets great mileage when I can keep my foot out of it...

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I've decided to ditch the vacuum operated pop up headlights. They don't open and close reliably and suck up a lot of room in the nose that could possibly be occupied by an intercooler. I will replace them with fixed LED projector lights.

Also, the front urethane bumper has long ago been replaced with an aftermarket fiberglass unit. I'm going to eliminate (glass over) the seam between the body and the nose and make it a smooth transition.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

· Administrator
26,949 Posts
I've decided to ditch the vacuum operated pop up headlights. They don't open and close reliably and suck up a lot of room in the nose that could possibly be occupied by an intercooler. I will replace them with fixed LED projector lights.

Also, the front urethane bumper has long ago been replaced with an aftermarket fiberglass unit. I'm going to eliminate (glass over) the seam between the body and the nose and make it a smooth transition.
View attachment 654615
Would the Pontiac Fiero headlight motors work in that application?

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Maybe. But I want to get rid of all the actuator hardware and not have anything hogging up the space in the nose.

If I wanted to retain the pop up functionality there are electric actuator kits available. I'd rather keep it simple.
Something along these lines:

· Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,260 Posts
I'd like to see one of those wrap around led DRL like on most modern vehicles. Itd look retro - modern 80's style. Kind of like the early 80's dashes

Reactions: ProCycle

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 · (Edited)
Some small progress.

I used a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder to cut a deeper and wider groove into the joint and to cut partially into all the cracks in the fiberglass.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

The seam got stuffed with Bondo Glass. Then another layer of Bondo Glass in the large low spots followed by regular body filler and some glaze.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

141 - 160 of 173 Posts