·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have this on there lbz and is it normal

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
You Mean like slight timing rattle when you first mash it or lug it? Then yes i have a little bit.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My truck does it when its pretty cold out. Its normal imo it doesnt hinder performance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is going to hurt the motor though

·
Registered
354 Posts
the only time it does it for most is when the engine is cold and doing take offs at that time is hard on a Diesel but yes all diesels have timing rattle which is what your hearing but some are louder then others so no it's not really anything to be worried about but i found if you add a lift pump which in turn gives your diesel more fuel and that will lessen the timing rattle.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My lly does it when its below 35 degrees. Dan said it shouldnt be anything to worry about unless it gets really bad or annoying then give him a call.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the only time it does it for most is when the engine is cold and doing take offs at that time is hard on a Diesel but yes all diesels have timing rattle which is what your hearing but some are louder then others so no it's not really anything to be worried about but i found if you add a lift pump which in turn gives your diesel more fuel and that will lessen the timing rattle.
So your saying with a lift pump my timing chatter or rattle will be less?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You have to cut the timing back if you want to minimize that cold weather rattle.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You have to cut the timing back if you want to minimize that cold weather rattle.
Exactly, one of my LLY's has this quite a bit and my LBZ has this quite a bit. Just the timing difference has a major sound impact. Nothing to worry about IMO, never shouldnt have a problem......yet.:D

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
x2 on that. I went into my custom settins section on my ppe tuner when is was first buggin me a while back and shut the added timing off. That got rid of the noise but I lost quite a bit of power also.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just cut back to the 160 hp. tune - seems much quieter.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Mine rattles pretty good when I first get on it, which I think is perfectly normal but at 3/4 throttle it rattles all the way through the gears. Its not bad just a little annoying. At wide open throttle its fine, go figure

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mine was about 20 to 30% louder but only when it was cold and the high idle came on. At least this is when I noticed it. It is not that cold lately so I have not verified it but the 160 tune seems much quieter anyway. I may bump it up again and see.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
11,311 Posts
350 tune is 50% louder if truck is not warmed up on a 35 or below day. Start the truck-let it warm for 5 min and take off it will rattle like this till its at op. temp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts