Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about VW TDI's??????
Geez, don't tell me I'm the only guy who's got one!?!?!?!
They make AWESOME commuting cars.........and get 50+mpg!!
Tom

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I can't believe Toyota and Honda are selling hybrids that are so much less of a car than the TDI and they get less mileage.

I hear nothing but good stuff about the TDI. Their could be one in my future. I commute 40 miles each way. My fuel bill would drop in half. Problem is that's not enough to pay for it.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
We just got a fully loaded 2003 Jetta TDI for the better half. She commutes about 120 miles a day. She has only put 3 tanks of fuel in it but so far has averaged about 45 mpg. It seems to be getting bettter every tank. I never drive it because I would rather take my truck but she seems to really like it. She is a little dissappointed with performance because he last car was an 01 Grand Prix GTP. I was surprised at how much head room there was in the Jetta with the sunroof considering I am 6' 3". Her Grand Prix had less headroom.

I am considering putting a Van Aakon box in it from Kenedy. Does anyone have any experience with these? Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
hoot said:
I hear nothing but good stuff about the TDI. Their could be one in my future. I commute 40 miles each way. My fuel bill would drop in half. Problem is that's not enough to pay for it.

Actually if you consider in the resale value you might be surprised. Up here the resale value is REALLY goon on these cars. After a couple years it would depreciate only a few thousand dollars. You might be surprised to see how good the resale value is. Of course then you have to drive a little car every day instead of an awesome rig like your truck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HOOT: my 86 mile round trip for work along with my wife's
40 mile is why I bought the TDI. And as you said, it's a
MUCH better car than those so called hy-brids from the
other guys......
MAX: my wife also came out of a GTP, and into the TDI and
Chevy Venture..........she'll get over it.

As far as performance mods go, injectors seem to be the
best bet for reliable performance without any electronics
issues. I also aggree about the comfort these cars
offer......it's even better in the Passat.
I'm currently averaging 47-50mpg with mine which is
excellent considering my heavy foot and 75mph typical
cruising speed. If you ever check out www.tdiclub.com
you'll find a TON of guys who routinely get 55+ AND
there's a lot of info there too.
Tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
hoot said:

I don't know what maintenance costs are like for a TDI (or for an '01 dmax, for that matter), but this spring we bought a '91 toyota for me to commute in, and the difference is not just in fuel costs- compared to oil changes, brakes, tires, and how fast we were racking up miles on the Dually (196,000 so far) I believe this car will pay for itself in about 18 months. Best of all, it will be that much longer before we have to go buy another truck- don't know if y'all have noticed, but the new ones aren't cheap...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
hoot if you got a TDI where would you put the propane???

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Believe it or not..... there are people running lp on those things.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
You guys are a bad influence............

That TDI was on my short list, just not big enough for the family right now. My oldest son's first car.........Maybe

Just

Maybe............

T
NY

TDI Touraeg in 2005 ....................BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dad had a 1985 jetta diesel 52 hp it was a great car lots of power

my dad knew this other guy he had the same make and model a he drove his across canada and back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Volkswagon isn't the only manufacturer producing diesel engines for cars. Crysler makes the PT cruiser available with a diesel engine . I don't know if it is available in the USA but I know Europe has them. Mercedes Benz has been making diesel engines for years, the BMW X3 now has a available diesel engine. Maybe vehicle manufactuers are getting there heads straight? With the quieter engine these days the diesel engine might make a strong comeback. I have seen this and I am sure you have too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I second King Nuzz - I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI, and LOVE it... I have an Upsolute chip in it - www.upsolute.com that makes it POWERFUL, and there are plenty of guys over at the TDIclub that do plenty of mods, from injectors, tuning boxes, chips, propane, NOS, you name it...

Stefan

·
Registered
41 Posts
hoot said:
I can't believe Toyota and Honda are selling hybrids that are so much less of a car than the TDI and they get less mileage. My fuel bill would drop in half. Problem is that's not enough to pay for it.

I can't believe you are so misinformed. Not to wage a personal attack against you, or your choice of car, but the Toyota Prius has more standard hp than the Jetta TDI (143 vs. 100), much more interior room (96.2 cu.ft. vs. 85.0), gets better mileage consistently, has more standard equipment, top notch optional equipment (which includes one of the best DVD navigation systems on the market), and all at a smaller price ($20,545 vs. $21,055).

I can't believe VW sells as many TDI's as they do. Oh, check recent car mags... Prius, Car of the Year. Prius, Best Selling, Low Fuel Consumption Vehicle. On and on... my point is, don't discredit a car that you've never owned, or probably even driven. After 35K miles, my wifes Prius hasn't has a SINGLE small failure and she AVERAGES 55 mpg. She sometimes gets better, sometimes worse. This is real mileage figures from a real person. NOT vendor marketing hype. Resell? It's a Toyota.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Dameon said:
I can't believe you are so misinformed. Not to wage a personal attack against you, or your choice of car, but the Toyota Prius has more standard hp than the Jetta TDI (143 vs. 100),

Kelly Blue Book says Prius makes 76hp at 5000rpm. That appears to be less than a TDI's assumed 100hp.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Are you saying two engine options?

It's a whole 'nother story if you're suggesting the Prius hybrid fuel saving design runs both gas and electric motors simultaneously and also has better fuel mileage than running one motor...

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not two engine options, just one. The Prius has an electric engine and a gas engine. At low speeds (less than 40 mph), and as long as the batteries are charged, it uses only the electric engine. In that mode it gets infinite mileage depending on how you look at it. Once the batteries are depleted, it starts the gas engine and charges them back up. It also has other methods of charging the batteries, such as regenetirive braking. If more power is required it runs both engines simultaneously through an advanced Toyota designed drive system. The built in (standard equipment) LCD screen keeps you informed of the engines and what they are doing. It shows whether the electric motor or gas motor (or both) is driving the car, whether braking is charging the batteries, as well as battery level. I'll be glad to take some pictures of the screen to help explain it all. It's actually quite a technological wonder of a car.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ok, now I gotcha.

I just read that Ford purchased the rights to manufacture Toyota's hybrid engine design. Wonder if any are using diesel/electric designs? That would seem to be the ultimate in internal combustion engine fuel efficiency. The downside would be the constrast between the relatively quiet electric engine and the noisier diesel. Although that gap is narrowing.Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I had heard the same thing about Ford "licensing" the Toyota Synergy system... it'll be interesting to see what Ford puts out. Supposidely an Escape Hybrid SUV is around the corner. The pictures I've seen look pretty sharp.

You raise a good point... imagine a diesel/electric hybrid. Plenty of power and amazing mileage figures. Americans don't seem to be very fond of diesel engines. UK will get a diesel hybrid before we will. They already have the Touareg diesel which I am lusting after.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts