Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the engine rebuilt and put an injection pump on the engine that came from my spare IP's. Now when the engine gets to 160-180 degrees it dies and will not restart. I suspect the IP, but I know the computer changes to normal mode around 160 degrees and thought the computer might be sensing something to tell it to kill the engine.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Exactly. Turn the top of the IP towards the driver's side about 1MM at a time until it keeps running. Once you have it running, check TDC offset and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even on the electronic IP?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The timing is advanced during warm up and then is allowed to go to the normal setting. So unless there is a problem with the IP it just need an advance by turning top toward drivers side.

Very slight movement is required.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will have to try it next weekend as I am out of town.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
170F is the magic # for a completed warm up cycle of the engine that the PCM is looking for, though your dash display may show it as 160-ish, um are we talking about one of the rigs in your signature ??? which one the 97?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the 1997.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Then proceed as directed above. What is basically happening is the PCM (computer) is calling for full advance to bring the engine up to operating temp. Once normal temp. is reached, the PCM retards the timing which is insufficient to keep the engine running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.