Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1995 k2500. Engine had VERY recently been swamped from a 1996 GMC TRUCK 2500. I drove home, no issues, started needing a jump to start. I was trying to track down a coolant leak and went to start to build up pressure. Started fine had it had been but 5 seconds later died fast like i had turned off. Turning over just fine with charger on it but not starting now. I hear something running when I turn o key, thinking it’s fuel pump but not sure? I ran obd codes and got none except a 12. . Not sure if the engine swap interferes with that? I need help!!! Been in dog house since I bought this. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
Load test (not voltage) the batteries one at a time?
It needs both batteries to be in tip top conditions.

When doing this task, you can also check all the wires and connectors.
Make sure all the grounds are intact, clean and tight.

Go from there.

·
Administrator
15,671 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

Batteries need full cranking amps when starting a diesel engine.
If you have a weak cell(s) then the engine won't spin fast enough to create the combustion event.

Go through all of your grounds using this link for reference:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163087
One bad ground can cause a lot of issues in a 6.5L

·
Administrator
15,671 Posts
Seems to be cranking strong. Just not turning over. More I look, more I regret buying a vehicle with a swapped engine.:(
Is the PMD relocated? If so where is it relocated to?
Have you tried another "Known Working" PMD w/resistor?

·
Administrator
15,671 Posts
PMD still in original location. Does this sound like it could be that? Was planning on moving eventually. Thanks
PMD is always a possibility. We recommend that you carry a couple of spares in the glove box just for this type of issue.
Relocating would be ideal for PMD health.

Relocating the PMD outside of the engine bay and mounting it on a quality heatsink and extension cable ( with AC/Delco Connectors) to the inside of your front bumper.

This would give your PMD lots of ambient air to help cool the PMD.
leaving the PMD in the engine bay allows the PMD to "Heat soak" when the engine is off and heat kills electronics.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
There is also a possibility that the Lift Pump (LP) is not running.
Lift Pump is controlled by the Oil Pressure Sender (OPS) on this model year.
So if OPS is bad, the LP will not start running when the engine suppose to start.

Check the FAQ, there is a way to wire the LP to run overriding the OPS.
See if you can start that way.
If you do, then OPS is bad.
For OPS, you need ACDelco which is hardly available locally so you may need to order it in.

Long term solution is to add a relay to help the OPS inability to carry the amp to run the LP reliably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts