Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be some newbies on the rv.net forum, in the toy hauler section, that didn't do a pre-delivery inspection of their toy haulers before they drove them off the lot

now, they are experiencing major problems with their rigs. They all feel that they shouldn't have to do a pdi, and liken it to buying a new car.

what are your thoughts on the subject

i took 4 hours going over my rig with a fine-toothed comb. a multi thousand dollar investment requires some attention after all.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pdi

I also did the extended PDI (4-5 hours), my dealer wasn't thrilled but he didn't say anything. He took my 4 page list and repaired everything. I took a list I downloaded from RV.net with me and it was a very complete list. People who don't do the PDI are asking to get taken. Once the dealer has your money, his incentive to make the unit right goes way down. I was very disappointed at the quality Jayco is putting out now, I guess the RV industry as a whole is declining as it becomes more popular. Mike Z

·
Registered
183 Posts
We spent a little over 2 hours doing our PDI, only finding one problematic issue that the dealer rectified on the spot. While I realize there are a lot of individual moving parts on a car, likening buying one to buying an RV is foolish. You have a lot of issues that could be a problem in any complex construction, such as an RV. Not taking a fair amount of time to look those things over is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a lot of us over at rv.net have been emailing jd power and ass. to start sending questionaires in the toy hauler industry.

look for a post by F550man. that is where the link is.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Wish I'd have known about the "list". Brought my TT home and started going through it. Made a list for the dealer to fix and took it back to them. Coming up on 1 year in a couple of months, dealer is in trouble now....I have a list:ro)

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought used, but I still did the PDI at the guys house before we negotiated a price. I wanted to make sure everything worked.

I spend a lot of time on rv.net, I am amazed at some of the problems people are having with new trailers of all types, not just toyhaulers.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Our PDI was about 2 hours, I didn't look over real good until I got it home and had a brew or 2. I gotta commed Northwood on my Desert Fox, other than a loose ground connection up front and a damaged table (probably happened in transport), our trailer was as near perfict as it gets. Next time, I think I will set it up that we stay the night in it just to make sure everything is fine, just incase.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Heck, I did a PDI on the truck before I took it off the lot. I told them before I came that I would be doing it. They had a truck a week after it came off the hauler to add the extra's. They were actually pretty happy that I was so informed about the truck.

I did the same for my trailer and they still forgot to add the extra's that I had ordered. I think it boils down to the quality of the dealership, be it auto or RV. A good RV dealer may not be the cheapest, but he may make your buying experience well worth the extra money... IMHO

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ours isn't a toy hauler but we spent the night in ours at the dealers lot. It's a good thing we did because the furnace didn't work. Also, we found out that we needed a lot of help in figuring out how to operate all of the entertainment systems features and the way the control box worked. The way they had it hooked up is really weired. They had to do a lot of little thing s to it before we left. After we took delivery, we haven't had much luck with that dealer doing warranty work and have had to take it to a different dealer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We purchased our trailer new, from a dealer via ebay. Saved BIG bucks. We drove from Maryland to Grand Rapids, MI to pick it up (FYI: Terrytown RV). I told them before we left home that we wanted to go over the trailer when we got there. I was not sure about getting another dealer to cooperate on warrenty work when we got home. In the end that was no problem. The local dealer has been great (I didn't purchase from them in the first place as they did not have what we wanted in stock and we would have had to wait well into the camping season for them to get the model we wanted).

Terrytown was great. When we arrived on Saturday they had it setup inside their garage (it was March and rather cold). They had all of the systems running, they let us spray it with a water hose to look for leaks (found one minor one and they fixed it). Found a cracked window and they fixed that along with a couple of other very minor things. They were very patient with us and let us take our time.

If a dealer balked at allowing me to do this, then I would not purchase a trailer from them no matter what the price. Folks should always do a detailed pre delivery inspection. It is always easier and faster to get things fixed before you give them the check;).

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I got a really good deal on the 5ver I bought because it was used for display during RV shows. It was only 8 months old and in excellent condition, but I did the PDI to the best of my ability, which was almost zero when it comes to RV's. And because of this lack of experience the one place that I did not check was the roof. Big mistake! My tralier does not have a ladder to access the roof so I really never bothered with what was up there. Anyways, reading some of the forums I learned that you should inspect your roof periodically. So at 1.5 years in, after warranty, I get a leak in the roof. I go up top and all of the plastic covers, i.e. vents, A/C, etc have warped so badly that the corners are actually turned up letting in water. Also the rubber is pealed back an inch in the front left corner. No way that stuff deteriorates that quickly and I suspect it was in need of repair prior to leaving the lot. I will do a PDI, the right way next time. AS for a the new car example, you can bet your backside I checked every inch of my 3500 before she rolled off the lot. Same with 04 Sub.
JP

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bummer Heartbeat Hauler. When I first purchased a RV I didn't think much about the roof either. However, I did learn about it a bit later and have been keeping an eye on it, so far so good.

One thing folks should keep in mind with looking at RVs is that the warranties vary a good bit. Some are for a year, others longer. One reason I purchased a Jayco is that it has a great warranty, 2 years bumper to bumper with an additional year on the structure. Another thing to realize if you are thinking about an RV is that unlike when you purchase a car or truck, you will likely use your warranty a number of times. RVs always seem to have a number of "nickel and dime" problems going on, mainly because they are built rather cheap. Heaters, fridges, water leaks etc. etc. are very common it seems.

But, they are very much worth the hassle as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bummer Heartbeat Hauler. When I first purchased a RV I didn't think much about the roof either. However, I did learn about it a bit later and have been keeping an eye on it, so far so good.

One thing folks should keep in mind with looking at RVs is that the warranties vary a good bit. Some are for a year, others longer. One reason I purchased a Jayco is that it has a great warranty, 2 years bumper to bumper with an additional year on the structure. Another thing to realize if you are thinking about an RV is that unlike when you purchase a car or truck, you will likely use your warranty a number of times. RVs always seem to have a number of "nickel and dime" problems going on, mainly because they are built rather cheap. Heaters, fridges, water leaks etc. etc. are very common it seems.

But, they are very much worth the hassle as far as I am concerned.
they are worth the hassle, as long as the hassle is small and just a little inconvenient.

If i were having problems like some of the guys at rv,net are claiming to have, i probably would have killed myself due to high blood pressure, etc

·
Registered
304 Posts
I truly feel sorry for people who have major problems with their RV's. If your not mechanically inclined, it can be a miserable experience. Waiting for service, then not getting your unit fixed right the first time. After our Jayco was finally completely fixed, we had no problems until this weekend. For some reason the hot water connection on the kitchen faucet started to drip under the cabinet. The unit hasn't moved since last September, so it couldn't have been jolted loose. Sheeiiittt happens I guess, luckily I can turn a wrench. Mike Z

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know what you mean. I fix most of the stuff on ours. We have only one RV dealer close to us and he charges $95.00 an hour to work on 'em. I refuse to pay that kind of money for general contractor labor. Nothing on these units require specialized training until you get into the refrigerators, furnaces, etc. Most of it is just plain old general know how.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know what you mean. I fix most of the stuff on ours. We have only one RV dealer close to us and he charges $95.00 an hour to work on 'em. I refuse to pay that kind of money for general contractor labor. Nothing on these units require specialized training until you get into the refrigerators, furnaces, etc. Most of it is just plain old general know how.
While under warranty, I took my trailer in for little things, until i noticed that they weren't getting fixed. I would fix them myself, then present the dealer with the bill of the parts and my time. they had a hard time paying me for my time, as i told them i was worth 200 bucks an hour, so we settled on just the parts!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts