Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a straight pipe put in place of the muffler today, sounds like a baby semi...haha, can faintly hear the turbo whistle through the exhaust and get a nice resonance at about 2700, interesting. Seems to pull mildly harder in the top end and same on bottom end *shrugs*, full throttle even with the windows down the engine is quieter, also when steady cruising it is quieter in the cab with windows down than it used to be.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
But man does it growl when you nail it

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as much as a stock duramax can growl...haha, wonder how restrictive that stock muffler is anyhow, looked the gases had to make two 180 turns inside based on the layout.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What size "pipe" is the replacement pipe size? My local exhaust shops say they only have 3 inch pipe....
Would this still be ok?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what they used for mine, you canhardly tell, I figure if I didn't like it I could always go with one of the aftermarket setups. Besides, even a 2.5 inch pipe would likely still flow better than the factory muffler.

·
Registered
396 Posts
cool,

They want $50.00, you'd say that's worth it just for the sound?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Our trucks use 3-1/2"
Most exhaust shops stop at 3".

The shop I took mine to also could not handle 3-1/2 but he ordered a piece anyway. We were able to "bellmouth" the ends with his expander and he just welded it up. The bellmouth helped compensate for the misalignment of the two ends.

Kinda like this......

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks guys,

I'm going tomorrow..........

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thats exactly what I want, but I've been to two shops that can't/won't do it.
One shop said that even if they would, that I would hate it because it would be way too loud...

I think they're FOS.

Did you guys use a stainless piece?

Mike

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
aluminized, it is very quiet, sounds like a UPS truck.
Mine is aluminized.

Quite?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, mine is pretty quiet, nowhere near as loud as my PSD was, might be due to the tailpiep angled to the rear, so all the sound is going away, and the PSD was direct sideways.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I dropped my truck off this morning for the straight pipe. I have the original 3.5" tailpipe from my 2001 6.0L and I told the muffler shop to cut it and use for my straight pipe. We shall see if he actually understood my english. Total cost is supposed to be $45.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Got my truck back at lunch. The install looks sweet! They took my old 3.5" oem tail pipe (from 2001 6.0L) and cut two pieces that made lovely swooping "s" shape that fit the oem muffler's place perfectly.

As for you p*ssy's
that think straight piped is loud, you need to go listen to a 6.0L with a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. This thing is quieter than the quietest aftermarket exhaust (gassers) that I have heard. I am actually a little disappointed, I expected it to be as loud as my 1994 350 with glass packs.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I imagine the turbo takes a lot of the bark out of it. cdhd2001, do you have a Cat? I am sure the cat would quiet it down as much or more then the muffler.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
No cats here in Texas. (Well maybe, but I tend to shoot strays.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got mine back today as well. I loved the ride home
I was hoping for some turbo whine like you can get with the Furd's 6.0, but the tone was exactly like I was wanting. Found a place that had 4" and it slid right over the stock pipe. $10.00 cheaper than they had quoted....
Best (cheapest) mod I've done with no remorse.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My friend had his 01 dmax straight piped, and I thought it was much louder than my PSD. It really "rapped out" in the higher rpm ranges... I liked it
... his wife didn't

Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, I did it also, got "piped" today. It was a chore finding the 3.5" stock, but I ran across a supplier today and snatched up a piece. He also had some FPPF Total Power that I picked up.

I purchased a 3' section of Aluminized for $15. Had the installer flare the ends, cut the OEM muffler out and welded in the piece after a bit of trimming. Labor costs - $30. Total cost..... $45

My impressions -

At idle no discernable difference.. accellerate away at a casual pace and you can notice a lower rumble. Rolled the windows down in traffic, sounds like a deep aftermarket exhaust on a gasser, with the usual diesel inflections.

But... when you romp on it
.. hard to describe, but the phrase vulgar obscene mutant Freightliner comes to mind. It sounds like what I suppose open headers on a Diesel would sound like, "rapped out" as Dieselman84 calls it fits. No regrets, I'd bet performance and EGT reduction-wise it's as good or better than a 4" system. Not for everyone, but I'm quite satisfied.

Mike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts