Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never limped or set any codes b4, but I won't be able to say that anymore. I limped tonight and threw 0700 & 0746. I did a search but didn't see an ex[planation for these codes, can someone tell me what they are? Thanks!

·
Registered
704 Posts
0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)

0746 Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
I've never limped or set any codes b4, but I won't be able to say that anymore.  I limped tonight and threw 0700 & 0746. I did a search but didn't see an ex[planation for these codes, can someone tell me what they are?  Thanks!
You should be able to reset those codes according to Quad.Let us know if the Stealth works as advertised.
And welcome to the limp club
I am surprised that you hadn`t done this before running the 165. On my truck, the 135 will limp it very easy. And when I had the TST PowerMax 145 I could limp it anytime I wanted to in any gear.

You need to have a quick foot, let off the accelerator very quickly once you here the engine start to rev, and it will not throw any codes. I have limped the tranny (zinged it is more like it) 50 times or more. The only time it threw a code (Just once)was when I was using cruise while towing 10,000# up a 10% grade with the Predator on the 110 hp setting (Ver. 1.04). I was not quick enough at hiting the brake.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amric, thanks for the code details.

hdmax,

I had no trouble clearing the codes with the Quad, the on screen instructions made it a piece of cake.

I can't really explain why I haven't limped b4, but I think I know why I did this time. I read a thread about having to let the alli learn in the Tow/Haul mode. What I thought I understood was that it would learn each mode separately. I had been running almost all the time in the reg mode and hadn't spent much time letting the alli learn in tow/haul. Last night I was giving it some time to learn in the tow/haul mode and probably didn't wait long enough b4 putting it to it pretty hard. This was on Quads latest 135 tune and I hadn't used the re-learn option. I ran it today, no problem.

Thanks for the tips, I quess I'm sure to need the advice for limping in the future!!

I know it's a matter of time b4 tranny upgrade but I'm currently investing in a new business adventure and need to conserve cash. I'm leaning toward the ATS like Amric and should have a new shop to do the install as part of the new adventure. Oh yeah, I'll also need a good dose of courage too. Amric, you got any left over?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
You do not have a pressure control solenoid therefore it can not be stuck on or off. There are only so many codes in a system and the TCM must choose something in response to the problem before it sets the light. The Alli. was not suppose to be flogged like we are doing and the explanation for that code would probably never be read under normal circumstances. I think we need a new set of codes from SAE to describe how an Alli. really operates so that we can diagnose better.

mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've zinged mine twice in the past week, first and second time. This is after running the stealth for a while now with no problems, but I know why it happened. It's cause I'm stoopid. On the fwy both times, impatient with the lobotomized idiots I'm forced to travel on the same public roads with, mashed the pedal to pass at around 70 or so and walla, zing to neutral before I knew what happened. Immediately got off the long pedal and went back into drive, no codes set. ATS here I come.

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
What do you do to get it back to normal once you zing it?

Sorry for the stupid question. I have never had any problems with mine yet.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
If it is just a zing; Then all I do is let off the go peddle, slip it in to neutral for a second, back into gear and go. Of the 50+ times I have zinged the tranny, I have never had to shut the truck down.

If it is a true limp; chances are pretty good that you threw a code, and this will take a reset or several key cycles. The one time I limped the tranny, I did not have the stealth tool, so I had to start and shut off the truck at least 10-15 times before the codes were cleared.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ditto what hdmax said, get off the go pedal immediately, slip into neutral,then back into drive..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine never limped once, and never zinged once, and there were still burns on every C3 steel.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Amric said:
Mine never limped once, and never zinged once, and there were still burns on every C3 steel.

I have seen many Alli's not assembled correctly from the factory. This fact would make no difference in a normaly driven truck. When we begin to add power and drive hard, it makes a big difference. Just adding a Transgo shift kit and h/d converter will not solve your problem in the long run. Assembly techniques have a lot to do with it(knowing what has been known to fail and making it stronger). Suncoast does all of this in every transmission they build.( That's right, i am pimping; so what, they work).

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Mike L. said:
hdmax

I have seen Alli's that were limped 50+ times and it was not pretty inside.

mike

What can I say? I want to make sure I get as much use out of this $4000 toy (they call an Allison Transmission), as I can before I lay down a lot of hard earned money
I do plan on getting a good one some day, and I know my days are numbered. I have 54,400 miles on the truck now, and would like to get another 45,600 miles. If I can stay on the 110 hp stealth setting I think it will hold up. As I have only zinged it 2 times in the last 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What kind of HP is everyone running when they 'zing' the Alli?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Anything 125 and above oughta do it,lower without torque managment as in Edge Products does ..... The more coals ya put to it the quicker ....

Mac

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I was slipping my Alli with the TTS tow program (80 hp). I am now running 30 hp economy program
( Diesel Tech is punishing me
) and my Alli shifts very nice now. IMHO i think a Transgo shift kit is in order for anyone (with converter) with 80 hp and above for any kind of longevity.

mike

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have run 100 hp or more for nearly all of the 54,000+ miles. (Maybe 1000 miles with 0-90 hp) And at 110 setting I have never noticed any problems at all. And I have run stacks a few times. The only thing ( Of the ones I have tried) that will zing/limp my tranny at will is the TST PowerMax on the higher settings. (That being anything over 5 and 3 or 4)

I do however know that an upgraded tranny is in my future, how far? I don`t know! But it is coming!

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
hdmax

This is the exact thing i have been running into, Some of the Alli's are not bothered by 90 hp, some are. Mine does not like it. I have set the TAPs on it numerous times and that always firmed up all the shifts; till the slip creeps back in. I will find out why here shortly when i yank it out.

mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.